Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't get permission on my tablet from my laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wonderland78

wonderland78

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 02:01 PM

So I have a folder on my surface pro 3 (windows 10) which is shared and has permissions for everyone set to allow full control.

My PC (windowns 8) can drag files into that folder across the network just fine but my laptop (windows 7) keeps coming up with 'you need permission to perform this action'.

I also turned off password protection just in case that was it.

Edited by wonderland78, 04 November 2017 - 02:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:09 PM

There are two things that come into play on a share, share rights and security rights.  Share rights concern remote access and Security rights concern local access.  When accessing a share you have the lowest common denominator of the combined rights.

Share = Full, Security = Read Only -> Share access is Read Only. Local access is Read Only.

Share = Read Only, Security = Full -> Share access is Read Only. Local access is Full.

This would be an issue if you were sharing the Documents folder of a user for instance.  That user would have Full rights locally and remotely, but all other users would not have any rights locally, so no access remotely.

#3 wonderland78

wonderland78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:19 PM

I'm sharing a created folder on the C drive.

Why would one computer have full access but not another?

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:17 PM

Right click the folder you are sharing and change to the Security tab.  Look to see what rights the user connecting to the share has.  If they are not listed they have no access.

Using passwords solves more problems than it creates.  You should be using the same user name and password on all three computers.  If you are using different user names they need to be added to the machine with the share and given rights to the share and added to the Security tab.

#5 wonderland78

wonderland78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:32 AM

sorry for late reply.

So I fixed it by poking around and guided by your advice above. I went into the security tab, located HomeUsers in the group or user names and then clicked 'advanced'. Here I noticed HomeUsers didn't have 'full control' like the others. So I made it so it had full control + all subfolders and files.

Does that sound about right? I was stabbing around in the dark and just hit the right buttons basically. 

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:42 PM

Normally you don't need full control, but if security isn't a major issue it will work.  Full control allows someone with right to the share reshare it on their computer.

Glad  to hear you got it working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users