Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Android Security

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wannabike

Wannabike

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:55 AM

My friend has a Galaxy J7 and wants to know what security apps he should have on his phone. I wasn't sure what to tell him Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:04 AM

What does he use the phone for?

Just like on computers, most infections on Android (which are fewer in number than under Windows at this point, but growing over time) come in from indiscriminate web browsing and link/button clicking.

If he or she is a caller/texter with minimal web use then one could forego security software entirely.   Otherwise I would try any one of a number of antivirus/antimalware combination scanners that can be found in the Google Play store that are produced by a major maker.   I have Lookout on my S7 but nothing on my other phones.  Because I make it a habit to follow safe browsing and downloading practices I have never had an infection on Android and it's been well over a decade since anything has been detected on any of my PCs, either.

I would never recommend that a PC user be without an active antivirus program.   I'm a bit more agnostic about Android and if you're a circumspect user of cyberspace my personal feeling is that this sort of armor on Android is not essential at this time.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 Wannabike

Wannabike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:11 AM

Thank you britechguy. I have never had any problem with my cell phone either but just wanted to make sure I was giving the correct advice. He just got his first android phone (he had to switch from a windows phone) and he is fighting it all the way......lol.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 02:11 PM

Well, no one forced him!!

Windows phones are supposed to be supported for a while yet.   Personally I don't know why anyone would have purchased one over the last two years, at least.  The writing has been on the wall in big, bright, bold block letters for some time now before the official, "we're dropping support" announcement by MS.

I've been Android since my first smartphone, and work with plenty of clients with iPhones, and I'll stick with Android, thanks.   I imagine that Windows Phone was customizable like Windows itself is, but they were completely limited by lack of apps and third parties showing little to no interest in developing for the platform.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users