Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS Update

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:24 AM

Hey guys, I have an old Windows 7 pc, 64bit, that was upgraded to 10 a while back.  It has never had good startup times, I suspect from the Botched Upgrade and that's why I got the pc donated to me because it did not work until I fixed it. 

I want to Re-Install with the newest version I just downloaded and burned to disk and Rufus.  I wanted to get the newest BIOS Update but it looks like there is only one, and this is the one that is already installed as far as I can tell.  The only difference I see is that the one on the computer in "System Information" has an older date than the one on the HP Site?  My question is: how would I know if these are both the same, or if I could benefit from the one with the newer date on it at the HP Site.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-p6200-desktop-pc-series/3999459/model/4006829/drivers

The BIOS in System Info is from 9/10/2009, the one at this site is from Aug, 6-2010

Thanks, pc

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,471 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

HP has a nasty habit of updating their "last updated" dates on the website that have no connection to when the thing being downloaded was actually last updated.  I have begun consistently looking at what version number of thing X (BIOS/UEFI in this case) is noted for the download.   If that matches what you already have installed then don't bother.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 835 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:42 AM

I agree... ignore the dates and only go by the version number. Your link shows version 5.43, if your bios shows that number then you already have the latest bios available from HP

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

Thanks guys, and sorry for not being more accurate in my needs.  Should have said the Version Matches (5.43) but the Date does not, and yes HP is wacky, and well...all the OEM's are a little wacky lol.

I couldn't help but to wonder if Version 5.43 at the HP Site, had some numbers at the end that they weren't showing there, so this is why I asked the pro's here!  All this HP "sp" stuff is driving me crazy lol.

Just Upgraded this thing to an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU  Q9400  2.66GHz 4 Core, 4 Logical Processor, from a Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.50GHz and wanted to make sure I got all the performance out of it that I could, especially on Startup.

Thanks again guys for all your experience, pcpunk!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,471 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:52 PM

All I can say is that updating BIOS these days is easy, and most updaters won't let you update (or at least will warn you) if what you're trying to install is precisely the same as what's already on board.

If you want to be 100% certain then you could give it a try.  I suspect you'll get the "this version is already present on this machine" message.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 02:23 PM

I did think of that Brian, but thanks for the extra push as I'm a little Timid with these things.  May as well try and see if there is anything to gain.  Excellent, thanks for the reminder.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 02:30 PM

Hahaha, MS is telling me I can't run the  BIOS Update, say's I need to "Unblock Publisher" well...never had to do this so off to google it!  Or is this an AVG Thing I don't know, the Warning did not say?

EDIT: Still can't open and execute the BIOS File, even after "Unblocking Publisher" via Right Click Properties, seems as even thought I have Admin Privileges I cannot run it.  This belonged to someone else, and I created an Admin account, then Deleted their Admin Account, and is where I suspect the problem lie's.  No worries, I'll just reinstall and do it after, it at all.

Edited by pcpunk, 04 November 2017 - 02:46 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 835 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:53 PM

From the HP web page:

• You must be logged on as an administrator to install this update.
  • You must have a Microsoft Windows 7 or Windows Vista operating system.

if your using Windows 10, you might have to try using compatibility mode. If you can't do that try extracting the .exe to find the proper file name and update from within DOS

Edited by Joe C, 05 November 2017 - 12:57 PM.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:56 PM

Ahh, thanks Joe C!  I find the info is usually there, I just can't find it lol.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users