Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back on old windows 8 from recovery op. Now what?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Hellraiser666

Hellraiser666

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

Hello,

I'm in a bind.  I tried to reinstall Windows 10 from a recovery drive but failed with an error and subsequently my original installation wouldn't boot.  Ended up having to do a recovery on my old Pavilion 17 laptop, AMD A8, and now I'm on Windows 8 again.  Yuck.  Any suggestions as to  how I can get out of this Twilight Zone of terror and back to Windows 10 reality without having to buy it again?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:53 AM

If you previously had Windows 10 then you have a digital license activated on Microsoft Servers. Download the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 and do a clean install. This will wipe the Recovery Partition so once this is done you will not be able to go back to Windows 8 using the Factory Recovery Partition.

Do a clean install using the below guide. This is for Windows 8 but the steps are the same for 10. Delete all existing partitions. 

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254

If your computer came pre-installed with Office make sure you also backup your Office activation or serial number.

If you do not want to wipe the drive and do a clean install you can run the Media Creation Tool on the Windows 8 computer and select Upgrade this PC now but I would recommend a clean install.

windows-10-upgrade-tool-100598946-orig.p

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:54 AM

You can use the Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media for a disc or flash drive.

There are three options, use the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

The product code was digitally recorded by Microsoft, you will not need to produce the product code, the installation process will recognize and use the Windows 10 product code.

Edited by dc3, 04 November 2017 - 09:57 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,823 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:27 AM

Hellraiser666,

You have already been given excellent advice and you should follow it.   The only thing I have to add is that when using the Media Creation Tool I suggest using the option to "install on a different PC" and downloading the ISO file.  That way you can either create a bootable USB drive (4GB min size) using Rufus or create a bootable DVD using a utility such as ImgBurn, AnyBurn, CDBurnerXP, or similar.

I have had a couple of instances when I tried to use the option to create a bootable USB drive in the Media Creation Tool where the download was interrupted for some reason and I always had to start over again from scratch.   With the ISO option I've had an interruption only once and I was able to restart it such that it picked up where it had been interrupted rather than starting all over again.  If you don't have lightning fast broadband this can make a huge difference.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 Hellraiser666

Hellraiser666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:03 PM

Okay, thanks everyone.  You all got back to me about the same time I was figuring it out.  I didn't realize there was an easy fix like this. I guess I should have looked into it before posting, but I was in panic mode.  I'm downloading Windows 10 now, hopefully my license will get me through the process. 

#6 Hellraiser666

Hellraiser666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:17 PM

Wow, that was nerve racking.  I'm back on W10 again, it reinstalled and I didn't even have to enter my product key.   Maybe now Creator's update will install, I'm sick of seeing that error message about 1703 unable to install. Anyway, I'm good again.  Thanks for being there.  Over and out.  I'll mark this "solved" if  that's even possible. I Haven't been in Bleeping for quite a while, I forget how things work in here. Later. :)

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

What version and build do you have? If you downloaded the Media Creation Tool today then you should have the Creator's update.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,823 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:41 PM

And to further clarify, you should have Version 1709 if you created fresh install media today.  The "Fall Creators Update."

I have stopped using the marketing names because it's so much easier to have exact identification with the Version numbers (and build numbers if you need to get really exact).

If you hit the Windows Key and immediately type winver and hit enter you will get the window that shows you what version and build of Windows 10 the machine is running.  The latest, as of this typing, for "released to the public at large" is Version 1709, Build 16299.19

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 Hellraiser666

Hellraiser666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:27 PM

What version and build do you have? If you downloaded the Media Creation Tool today then you should have the Creator's update.

I just updated and among some other junk was that pesky creator's update.  So I updated and it finally installed. I'm totally up to date and happy again.  Thanks for your interest.

#10 Hellraiser666

Hellraiser666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:31 PM

And to further clarify, you should have Version 1709 if you created fresh install media today.  The "Fall Creators Update."

I have stopped using the marketing names because it's so much easier to have exact identification with the Version numbers (and build numbers if you need to get really exact).

If you hit the Windows Key and immediately type winver and hit enter you will get the window that shows you what version and build of Windows 10 the machine is running.  The latest, as of this typing, for "released to the public at large" is Version 1709, Build 16299.19

I went in and checked updates manually and 1709 was ready to install along with some other adobe flash security updates. Everything installed without a hitch.  That Creator's update has been bugging me for a looooong time.  Glad to get rid of it finally. Thanks. 

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,823 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:52 PM

I have to say I still don't understand what you mean by "checked updates manually and 1709 was ready to install".  If you created your Windows 10 install media today that media should simply have installed Version 1709 (also called the Fall Creators Update) directly.

If you were using media created several months ago then it might install 1703 (which was the Creators Update) and then immediately trigger the update to 1709, but I can't imagine that it would since when you're installing the installer looks to see if there are updates that occurred after the creation date of the media you're using and will automatically download these unless you specifically make the choice to skip that.

In any case, I'm glad you have your machine back and with Windows 10 on it.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users