Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Sure If I Have A Technical Problem or Virus On My Laptop

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Phil2

Phil2

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:44 AM

I switched my laptop on last Tuesday (31st of Oct) and Windows 10 wouldn't load. The HP logo came on with the timer beneath, the logo disappears after a few minutes as did the timer, then the cursor appears but no windows (the windows logo nor login screen never appears). So I restarted several times and nothing changed.

So next I loaded 'Automatic Repair' in an effort to get into safemode with networking, which stated the standard "Your PC did not start correctly". Inside safemode I checked Device Manager for issues, of which there was 2.

The first was 'Generic PnP Monitors' had an issue, though there was no info on it. I tried to update the driver and windows said I had the latest one. I also couldn't go back to an earlier one. The issue still has a yellow exclamation mark by it.

The second issue was with the 'Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 bgn Wifi M.2 Adapter'. In 'Device status' it said: "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37) The request is not supported". This has since been corrected.

In safemode I tried to scan and Avast brings up a window saying "UI Failed to load" then prompts a restart, though it does not when pressed, I'm not sure if this is because the system is in safemode. I ran Malwarebytes and it found nothing, although it took well over an hour to complete.

In the interest of time I'll bullet point what I tried next.

• System restore in safemode failed and gave me error code: (0x80070091)
  • System restore in 'Advanced Options' failed and gave the same error code as above
  • Startup repair failed and gave me a log file
  • Reset the PC failed
  • Go back to previous build failed

I tried a full reinstall from boot with a USB recovery drive I got with my laptop, this failed with a message saying: The selected boot device failed. I then tried it inside of safemode, this failed and said the device needs formatting (I tested in another computer and it said the same). Which basically means it's corrupted. If so then that was my only chance to boot. The shop I bought it from said it was only good for one boot and the laptop came pre-loaded with windows 10. Does this mean, if required, I will have to buy a new a windows key as I never received a disk and key? 

I also cannot gain access to security and updates in safe mode. Which is what was making me think it could be a virus, along with Avast not running. Any help and advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Details of system:

HP Notebook

Edition: Windows 10 Home

Version: 1607

OS Build: 14393.1770

Product ID 00325-80291-60989-AAOEM 

Processor: AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics 1.80 GHz

Installed RAM:4.00 GB (3.45 GB Usable)

System type: 64-bit operating system , x64-based processor 

Thank you,

Phil

Edited by Phil2, 04 November 2017 - 08:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,690 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:11 AM

Hi Phil,

Try to run the HP Diagnostic tools http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html to see if there is any hardware problem.

If you can boot to Safe Mode with Command Prompt try to run a disk check, type:

chkdsk c: /r /x

Edited by SleepyDude, 04 November 2017 - 10:11 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Phil2

Phil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:22 PM

Thank you for you for your help, SleepyDude.

I ran a HP 'System Quick Test' and a 'System Fast Test' and both times it said:

"Hard Drive Short DST Check: Failed" with the following failure code: MC72JX-8208RL-XD7WLK-60W503

I went to the HP site and found that this means the HDD will most likely need replacing. Though I can get in to safemode so I assume that means it can be fixed/salvaged?

Initially I did a disk check on the C: by itself just to see if anything was there. Stage 1 and 2 were fine. Though for stage 3 it says:

"The volume Bitmap is incorrect. Windows has checked the file system and found problems. Please run a chkdsk/scan to find problems and queue them for repair".

After this I did as you said and restarted for the scan to commence. The scan seemed stuck on 10% for over 3 hours then said it was 100% complete. After this the laptop restarted and nothing had changed, it still wouldn't load.

So where do I go from here? Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks for your time!

Phil

Edited by Phil2, 04 November 2017 - 05:22 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 24,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:06 AM

Looks like a hard drive problem to me.

There's not much in the way of fixes for a bad hard drive, and if the hard drive is dying the fixes will only be temporary (and you may find that they're not even fixable)

At work we generally suggest just getting a new hard drive - it saves time and effort and they're not all that expensive these days.

And, you may even want to think about upgrading to an SSD - which will make the system much faster for you.

Installation of the hard drive depends on the specific model that you have.
Here's how to find the model:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-15-n200-notebook-pc-series/6529948/model/6867308/document/c00033108

Post back and we'll see what we can find on how to open the case and install the hard drive.

If it's still under warranty with HP, contact them and start the process to get a new hard drive.  It'll come with Windows preinstalled.

If it's not under warranty, you can replace the hard drive yourself and reinstall Windows (or have a shop do it).

You'll have to purchase a hard drive/SSD, and then download and install Windows 10 (free from Microsoft)

In general, if your system was connected to the internet, your Windows 10 would have been activated that way (and you'll be able to re-activate it with the new hard drive).

Here's a link for the Media Creation Tool (which will make a W10 installation dist/drive):  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have lessened and I'm able to post/respond without too much difficulty. (05 Sep 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems come on suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Phil2

Phil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:11 AM

Hi Usasma,

So no matter what I do the HDD is not going to work normally again and is going to eventually fail? I wouldn't mind but I've only had this a year and 8 months. The warranty has expired unfortunately.

I already found out the make of drive in case I had to do just this. I already had a look online and found some HDDs though I'm not sure if they're compatible. The drive type is a '1TB 5400RPM SATA'.

The rest of my laptop details are here: https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-15-af100-notebook-pc-series/8543365/model/9044480/product-info

I'm really not sure which HDD or SSD is right or compatible with the rest of the hardware in my laptop. Can you guys help me? Luckily I already have experience removing and connecting Hard drives from when my last laptop had issues. Though I haven't done it with a HP one, so some advice/guidence may be required.

Thank you for info and link on windows 10, I thought I may have to buy another one seeing as I have no disk, nor key and the USB reinstallation stick I also bought for £35 with the laptop is corrupted. 

Thank you for taking the time to help me! :)

Phil

#6 usasma

usasma

• 24,699 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:11 PM

No, it most likely will not work normally again - but there is a slim chance (IMO) that it might be repairable.

What I see with systems like this one of three things:

- you attempt to repair and it won't repair (more than 1/2 of the time)

- you attempt to repair and it will repair - then fail shortly thereafter (less than 1/2 of the time)

- you attempt to repair and it will repair - then it doesn't fail shortly (I have never seen this happen, but it's still a possibility)

Also, when you repair, it wipes out the stuff in the affected sectors - be it data, OS files, or even free space.

Most often what we see is that the system won't boot - and then we have to reinstall Windows.

If this is your system:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/HP+Envy+TouchSmart+15+Hard+Drive+Replacement/51041

then replacing the hard drive should be fairly easy.  Then boot from the W10 installation drive and follow the instructions to install W10.

The specs for the system call for a 1 tB, 5400 rpm drive.  You can speed the system up by getting a 7200 rpm drive or an SSD.

Check your hard drive now to see how much you have stored on it - you may be able to get away with a smaller drive if you're not storing ton's of stuff on it.

Currently (at work) we're installing 240 gB SSD drives on most laptops when the owners want a speed boost. 

Edited by usasma, 05 November 2017 - 12:13 PM.

**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have lessened and I'm able to post/respond without too much difficulty. (05 Sep 2017)

#7 Phil2

Phil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:06 AM

Hi, Usasma.

A new Hard drive it is then!

No that wasn't my system. My system is: HP 15-af153na Energy Star. You have to take the whole back off on mine. I managed it via a video on YouTube and this: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/HP+15-ba0709dx+Hard+Drive+Replacement/87683

It looks like this:

Attached File  IMG_2621.JPG   177KB   0 downloads

I notice there's room for more RAM too!

I'll stick to the HDD for now. I was thinking this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Barracuda-7200-Desktop-Hard-Drive/dp/B01LNJBA2I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1510056218&sr=8-4&keywords=1+tB%2C+7200+rpm+drive

I don't really know much about HDDs, is that a good one? I know it matches my old stats, expect for the speed, and the reviews are mostly positive. It's quite cheap, so in your opinion do you think I should spend a bit more on something with the same specs in the hopes that it lasts longer? 

Also, before I put the Windows 10 on will I have to install the drivers on the drive first?

Thanks for you help :) 

Phil

#8 usasma

usasma

• 24,699 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:17 AM

That's a desktop hard drive - way too big for your system

I'd suggest this:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Laptop-SATA-Internal-Drive/dp/B007PG25UU/ref=sr_1_5?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1510060471&sr=1-5&keywords=laptop+hard+drive&refinements=p_89%3ASeagate
But be sure that you measure the one in the system so you don't end up with one that's too thick (the one in the link above is 9.5 mm thick)

If uncertain, contact HP to find out what thickness they recommend.

Once you put the hard drive in, then you can boot from the USB and it'll install everything for you.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/reinstall-windows-10-to-new-hard-drive/ed36fddf-befe-4fb9-8552-f7810ce8cd5d

Edited by usasma, 07 November 2017 - 08:20 AM.

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,690 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:35 AM

Hi,

If you don't want to follow the SSD root I would choose an SSHD like this for better performance and big storage capacity

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST1000LX015-FireCuda-Internal-Factor/dp/B01LXNUKKW/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1510061575&sr=8-2&keywords=sshd+2.5

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#10 Phil2

Phil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:18 PM

I was wondering about the size, I meant to ask that question.

The Drive I took out the laptop is 8mm thick. So I assume I need a 8mm, no bigger and no smaller?

I made a new Windows 10 install on a spare USB using the link you provided (the previous USB was corrupted). Though I'm still not sure about the non-windows drivers for the laptop itself. Does Windows install those too, or do I have to install those first?

Phil

#11 Phil2

Phil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:23 PM

I'm assuming the SSHD is a combo of HDD and SSD? I'm also assuming they'll cost a bit more too? Are they more reliable and less likely to fail than a standard drive?

Phil

#12 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,690 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:03 PM

I was wondering about the size, I meant to ask that question.

The Drive I took out the laptop is 8mm thick. So I assume I need a 8mm, no bigger and no smaller?

A thinner drive is usually not a problem because it is held securely by the screws.

I made a new Windows 10 install on a spare USB using the link you provided (the previous USB was corrupted). Though I'm still not sure about the non-windows drivers for the laptop itself. Does Windows install those too, or do I have to install those first?

Phil

You install Windows 10 first then the system will try to automatically install most of the drivers, if some are not installed by Windows then you have to download them from the manufacture website.

I'm assuming the SSHD is a combo of HDD and SSD? I'm also assuming they'll cost a bit more too? Are they more reliable and less likely to fail than a standard drive?

Yes it costs more. I don't think anyone can tell you that, any device can fail!

Most 2.5" HDD are 5400RPM drives, due to the way HDD's are built today I found them very slow and that's why I suggest the SSHD option. I have one of those on my laptop.

___
Rui

#13 Phil2

Phil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:56 AM

Hey Sleepydude!

I've gone with your recommendation. I use photoshop and do some video editing and used to get some lag at times when I did it, which was kind off-putting and annoying. With the faster drive things should be better. It was only an extra £10 more than the HDD and right on budget it too!

I may not get it until Monday (13th of Nov) or slightly later. Though I'll come back and update you of how it went, or ask for help, depending how things go. Hopefully though it'll be a straight install! 

Cheers for yours and Usasma's help and advice!

Phil

#14 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,690 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:00 AM

Good choice in my opinion.

Let us know if you have more questions.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users