Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is it dangerous to post your specs with speccy on a thread?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:46 AM

The next step is writing the .iso to the usb.

I suggest this tool to do it, as you really cant directly copy and paste the disk image to the USB drive:

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

This tool is dead simple, one of my fave usb writers on windows.

Edited by MadmanRB, 07 November 2017 - 12:49 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#32 TrunksV17

TrunksV17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:52 AM

great ill continue this tomorrow thank you

#33 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,985 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:52 AM

You are welcome, glad to take you this far.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#34 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,681 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:24 AM

The next step is writing the .iso to the usb.

I suggest this tool to do it, as you really cant directly copy and paste the disk image to the USB drive:

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

This tool is dead simple, one of my fave usb writers on windows.

+1! :thumbup2:

Until UEFI computers became the norm, all I used was Universal USB Installer, then had to switch to Rufus to make the bootable USB stick work. However, that's been sometime back, the developers frequently update the app & is (likely) now up to par with the rest. While Rufus is also simple, one has to manually select which type of computer the ISO is for (UEFI/GPT or BIOS/MBR). Although when creating on the target computer, usually don't have to choose. 

Will go back to UUI, my once longtime favorite, and see how it does at creating UEFI bootable images. 

In regards to saving changes to the USB stick, known as Persistence, then a minimum of a 4GiB USB stick is required, and best to select that option when creating the bootable media. Assuming a 4GB stick is used, than go with a 2 GiB persistence file, while the option takes a couple more minutes to create, any changes between live sessions will be there when used the next time. Although it's best when possible to use a 8GiB USB stick (to create the fully allowed 4GiB persistence file), or a 8 GiB SDHC card attached to a USB card reader, have a 2GB model that's been used countless times for Linux installs & rescue media), it serves the same purpose as a regular USB stick. Many has these smaller SD/SDHC cards laying around after upgrading the one in a digital camera to 16-32 GiB & are still very useful, found the tip on the 'Make Use Of' site. :)

A quick word of caution, if you've not already done so, please create your Recovery Disc set (3 to 5 DVD's) before installing Linux Mint, as well as creating a Full disk image of the drive. While this may not seem important today, it is for several reasons. One being a fallback option & the other should you later desire to sell the computer. Models with the factory OS & created Recovery Disc set has more value (30 to 50%) than w/out it, plus the drive image will allow you to restore to the created point & reinstall the factory OS, using the needed hotkey at boot, varies by make/model. If by chance that hotkey is broken, then the Recovery Disc set will do the same, although slower, on the same size drive provided by the OEM or larger, usually won't work on smaller drives. This would give the buyer a freshly installed OS, just force shutdown after completion & (s)he will have the same out of the box experience as yourself when purchased. :)

Here's an excellent, free backup option in Macrium Reflect, just be sure to create the Recovery Media when installed (a download will be required for the needed files). Also, under the 'Other Tasks' tab, there's an option to add Macrium Reflect to the bootloader, saving a lot of time, yet please create the WinPE rescue media, if no CD/DVD burner is in place, the ISO can be stored to an external for later burning, or can use with Rufus to create a bootable ISO image. 

Note that there's no 3rd party bundles with Macrium Reflect Free from File Hippo which I'm about to link, if chosen from the Macrium site, one will be redirected to Download.com, among the worse offenders of adding garbage along with what one wants. This is a safe link, have used hundreds of times w/out any issue. Registration shows, yet is optional, can select 'No' at time of install to reduce possible spam.

http://filehippo.com/download_macrium_reflect/

The WinPE ISO can also be used to clone, backup & restore drives when needed, huge difference between this and the Linux rescue media provided years back that allowed a restore only, which is still provided by huge OEM backup solutions like WD & Seagate. Macrium wins hands down. :)

Cat

ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer PC. EVGA GTX 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 8GB GDDR5 GPU! 4K!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/w3mBsNE6cJXW7on5sbNTFDc  (Updated 10/07/2017)

ASRock Z97 Extreme6, EVGA GTX 1060 FTW + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tbdS4YKHBvWROeKETAMBRKk  (Updated 04/12/2017))                                                                       

Dell XPS 8700, Revived from the Dead, EVGA GTX 1060 SSC + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KrNXc5IZ6HmJvrrLVSZbGzi  (Updated 05/17/2017)

ASUS 970 PRO Gaming AURA, with a cool running AMD Phenom x4 965 CPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/c0aVnEnmxFmqX5Pf1nOhCKf   (Updated 10/10/2017)

Dell Dimension 2400 Rebuild, Done the Right Way! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/MLv5xbYuI2vsLqvtS4PaDGB  (Updated 10/20/2017)

#35 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,985 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:59 AM

UUI seems to have got UEFI worked out.

It more lays on the distribution now

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#36 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,903 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:16 AM

ok now i am confused. i already installed the iso. how do i play about it and find out that this is something i want to keep? whats the next step?

So you already installed the iso to the USB using Universal USB Installer?

If so, now all you have to do is boot from it.  Just be careful not to bother your Windows Installation.  If there are any questions about how to do anything just ask.  Sign in to your account here if you can while in Linux Live Session and ask away. 

Booting from an older HP should require pressing ESC at the Hp Screen.  Then you will/should get the Boot Options, like F8 I think, then go to the Entry that is your USB and hit Enter.  Just let Linux Boot all on it's own from there until you see the Desktop.  There will be a Countdown, just let it boot on it's own.

Shut down is a little different, sometimes after opening Menu and selecting Shutdown, it will ask you to Press Enter and remove the Disk when it is done, or in this case the USB.  Sometimes it will just shut down the pc all together without any input.  It's been awhile since I booted Cinnamon so I forget, and it may vary depending on versions also.  Madman would know better about this.

You will have access to your Windows Drive in the Right side of the "File Manager" (Like File Explorer in Windows), so I suggest not playing around there. 

I always Test Wireless(if you have it), browse the internet, open and create Word documents, play music and a few other things just to test things out.  You can open the system monitor to see how linux is using your CPU and RAM etc.  Anything you need is similar to Windows, just open the Menu and start typing, and google anything you need with if help is not around here.  You can also put in a USB and save documents to it if you want, your notes, links etc. whatever you want while you're in Linux.

Speed will not be up to par until is it Installed, so don't worry about a little lag, and way more so if you Boot a DVD!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#37 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 10,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:58 PM

How did we go from " is it dangerous to post your specs with speccy on a thread?"

To installing an OS?

#38 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,681 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:42 AM

How did we go from " is it dangerous to post your specs with speccy on a thread?"

To installing an OS?

Nick you're right, maybe the OP should had created a new Topic, or asked that this one be renamed. :)

From what I gather, the OP wanted to know how to post Speccy specs (safely) in order to find the best available distro to run on the hardware. 

My suggestion is that if the OP needs further assistance (distro decision & installation), to open a new Topic, which we can cover from A through Z. :)

Cat

ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer PC. EVGA GTX 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 8GB GDDR5 GPU! 4K!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/w3mBsNE6cJXW7on5sbNTFDc  (Updated 10/07/2017)

ASRock Z97 Extreme6, EVGA GTX 1060 FTW + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tbdS4YKHBvWROeKETAMBRKk  (Updated 04/12/2017))                                                                       

Dell XPS 8700, Revived from the Dead, EVGA GTX 1060 SSC + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KrNXc5IZ6HmJvrrLVSZbGzi  (Updated 05/17/2017)

ASUS 970 PRO Gaming AURA, with a cool running AMD Phenom x4 965 CPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/c0aVnEnmxFmqX5Pf1nOhCKf   (Updated 10/10/2017)

Dell Dimension 2400 Rebuild, Done the Right Way! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/MLv5xbYuI2vsLqvtS4PaDGB  (Updated 10/20/2017)

#39 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:53 PM

great ill continue this tomorrow thank you

How did things work?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#40 JustAnotherNode

JustAnotherNode

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

awesome so here I go...

What distribution should I use?

I am wanting to enter the world of Linux, previous pinned threads offer the aid of how to enter Linux and which distribution to enter. The topic title was suggested to put down for other to help, I hope to receive help for other experienced users. Very eager to enter Linux as an alternative. Saving up to get a laptop in future and want to get into Linux, Novice here and looking to learn a lot about computers in the future, main reason I am here on the site.

- Here are the details of my Windows OS specs from speccy

- I surf the net, email, netflix
- something a bit more challenging
- prefer decent amount of help in terms of forum support and tutorial (I do not want to get lost completely, I also want to do some research and do some things on my own but I don't want to get lost)
- A different look would be awesome

Its Windows based , not Linux.

what do you mean by this?^^

Ubuntu MATE sounds like the ultimate option for the things you do!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users