Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is it dangerous to post your specs with speccy on a thread?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 654 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:24 PM

Nice choice, mint is a great distro for those new to linux and is a fantastic starting point.

I 100% agree. :thumbsup:

If you have a powerful computer Linux Mint Cinnamon.

If you have a low power computer Linux Mint Mate or Linux Mint Xfce.

Linux Peppermint 7 (64 Bit) Dell Dimension E521 (06 / 11 / 2007) / Amd Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Processor (2.1 GHz, 1024 KB L2 Cache, rev. G1, Socket AM2) / Samsung Memory DDR2, 4.0 GB, 533 MHz FSB / Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE [C51] Integrated Graphics Adapter.

Linux Peppermint 8 (32 Bit) / Dell Optiplex 360 (11 / 28 / 2008) / Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300 Conroe (1.86 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB, 2M Cache, LGA 775 Socket) / DDR2 Memory 3.0 GB, 800 MHz FSB / Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE [G72] PCIE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:50 AM

Nice choice, mint is a great distro for those new to linux and is a fantastic starting point.

I 100% agree. :thumbsup:

If you have a powerful computer Linux Mint Cinnamon.

If you have a low power computer Linux Mint Mate or Linux Mint Xfce.

+1! :thumbup2:

Linux Mint Cinnamon is now their flagship & 'drop in replacement' for Windows 7 through 10 users. :)

Although on lesser spec computers, Xfce is also good, yet MATE also is, a fully featured distro that hardly uses any more resources than Xfce on most modern computers. In fact, have been running Linux Mint MATE for over 8.5 years, beginning when it was the Main edition & long before Cinnamon was created. Although if a total new user today, would go with Cinnamon, I believe the reason why I've stuck with MATE so long is that the distro has served me well for so long. 

As the saying goes, why fix what isn't broken? :lol:

TrunksV17, glad to hear you've found some success & hope to see you around here some. As those who are new to Linux often has questions, or runs into what'll often be a temporary roadblock. Please don't hesitate to open a new Topic if you have any future issues or need an answer to a question. :)

BTW, the Linux Mint equivalent of Speccy is opening the Terminal, small black box on the Panel (called Taskbar on Windows) and entering the below code, then copy/paste the output to your post when needed. 

inxi -Fx

Some may say use 'inxi -Fxz' instead, for security, best to leave the 'z' off at the end of code. :)

Good Luck with Linux Mint Cinnamon, you're in lots of company! :thumbsup:

Cat

ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer PC. EVGA GTX 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 8GB GDDR5 GPU! 4K!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/w3mBsNE6cJXW7on5sbNTFDc  (Updated 10/07/2017)

ASRock Z97 Extreme6, EVGA GTX 1060 FTW + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tbdS4YKHBvWROeKETAMBRKk  (Updated 04/12/2017))                                                                       

Dell XPS 8700, Revived from the Dead, EVGA GTX 1060 SSC + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KrNXc5IZ6HmJvrrLVSZbGzi  (Updated 05/17/2017)

ASUS 970 PRO Gaming AURA, with a cool running AMD Phenom x4 965 CPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/c0aVnEnmxFmqX5Pf1nOhCKf   (Updated 10/10/2017)

Dell Dimension 2400 Rebuild, Done the Right Way! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/MLv5xbYuI2vsLqvtS4PaDGB  (Updated 10/20/2017)

#18 TrunksV17

TrunksV17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:13 PM

TrunksV17, glad to hear you've found some success & hope to see you around here some. As those who are new to Linux often has questions, or runs into what'll often be a temporary roadblock. Please don't hesitate to open a new Topic if you have any future issues or need an answer to a question. :)

BTW, the Linux Mint equivalent of Speccy is opening the Terminal, small black box on the Panel (called Taskbar on Windows) and entering the below code, then copy/paste the output to your post when needed. 

inxi -Fx

Some may say use 'inxi -Fxz' instead, for security, best to leave the 'z' off at the end of code. :)

Good Luck with Linux Mint Cinnamon, you're in lots of company! :thumbsup:

Cat

Thanks for the help on the speccy equivalent on Linux. Tomorrow I'll be reading more on the forums and advancing on my Linux dl. Been busy with work and still have Windows 10 on my desktop. I've gotten as far as just dl Linux mint. 

I am still going with mint, do you think I should go otherwise? I guess it's up to me and both would serve me well so going with either wouldn't be an issue, right?

quick question, on a tutorial it says for me to boot through disc, I wanted to go with USB but since it is saying disc, I will go with disc, what do you suggest?

Edited by TrunksV17, 06 November 2017 - 11:18 PM.

#19 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,947 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:57 PM

You can still use usb thumbdrive.

Disc is a more in general term as even a thumb drive is seen by the computer as a disc.

As for suggestions such as XFCE, XFCE is for lower end setups really though you can use it on a newer machine.

For linux mint there are four (soon to be three) versions.

There is the default linux mint cinnamon, cinnamon is more catered to newer machines but if you have say something from the vista era in terms of hardware there is a good chance cinnamon will work.

Then there is MATE and cinnamon both lighter interfaces but with different tools and abilities.

MATE in terms of linux desktop interfaces is sort of in the middle of new and old, while it seems like something from the windows 2000 era of computing at first it can be heavily modded to look more "modern"

XFCE sort of offers the same but I think its very catered to really old computers not newer machines that were vista capable and above.

Linux unlike windows is not locked down to one single user interface, it offers many incarnations for you to see what fits.

Pretty much every linux desktop version offers something but its up to you to decide what you like.

Linux is all about choice after all.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#20 TrunksV17

TrunksV17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:06 AM

You can still use usb thumbdrive.

Disc is a more in general term as even a thumb drive is seen by the computer as a disc.

As for suggestions such as XFCE, XFCE is for lower end setups really though you can use it on a newer machine.

For linux mint there are four (soon to be three) versions.

There is the default linux mint cinnamon, cinnamon is more catered to newer machines but if you have say something from the vista era in terms of hardware there is a good chance cinnamon will work.

Then there is MATE and cinnamon both lighter interfaces but with different tools and abilities.

MATE in terms of linux desktop interfaces is sort of in the middle of new and old, while it seems like something from the windows 2000 era of computing at first it can be heavily modded to look more "modern"

XFCE sort of offers the same but I think its very catered to really old computers not newer machines that were vista capable and above.

Linux unlike windows is not locked down to one single user interface, it offers many incarnations for you to see what fits.

Pretty much every linux desktop version offers something but its up to you to decide what you like.

Linux is all about choice after all.

Awesome, I am sticking with cinammon and see how that goes. I'm actually in the process of booting it now. Do you have time to help me out? I will only borrow your time for a little while. Can you help?

Right now I am trying to verify my ISO image.

Edited by TrunksV17, 07 November 2017 - 12:07 AM.

#21 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,947 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:07 AM

Yeah i have some time, go ahead and make your boot in.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#22 TrunksV17

TrunksV17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:08 AM

Yeah i have some time, go ahead and make your boot in.

I am here... https://linuxmint.com/verify.php

Can you help me in this process? how do I begin verifying?

#23 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,947 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:10 AM

I would skip the verification right now, its not important for testing things out.

Its more of a formality

Edited by MadmanRB, 07 November 2017 - 12:11 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#24 TrunksV17

TrunksV17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:12 AM

Alright I'll skip this part for now but I do want to come back to it and know how this part works. If you can help me with this later on today or tomorrow, that would be great.

How much space does it take up in a USB?

Edited by TrunksV17, 07 November 2017 - 12:14 AM.

#25 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,947 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:15 AM

Its all good, you should be fine.

Mint only has one notch against its record, a server hack about a few years ago but mints been more attentive after that.

Again its a formality right now, I would not concern with it.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#26 TrunksV17

TrunksV17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:16 AM

Great, how much space does mint take up in a USB?

#27 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,947 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:18 AM

About 2GB in size.

If you have a spare 4GB usb it will be fine.

The mint disk is a bit large to the untrained eye, but believe me its tiny compared to the windows disk image.

Edited by MadmanRB, 07 November 2017 - 12:23 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#28 TrunksV17

TrunksV17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:25 AM

Great, my USB is 4gb so I am good on space. Should I use this USB for the sole purpose of having mint on it and that's it?

also now it is asking me to open up Gparted with terminal to format the drive but i do not have "terminal' which is part of Linux OS

#29 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,947 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:29 AM

I would not bother with the terminal right now, you an do everything on mint with its graphic user interface.

I would not play with gparted just yet as right now you just want to try linux not install it.

A live image is a good indication on how things will work though there may or may not be some bugs on the live image.

This is your evaluation period, when you are ready I will allow you to make the call to install the system or not.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#30 TrunksV17

TrunksV17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:41 AM

ok now i am confused. i already installed the iso. how do i play about it and find out that this is something i want to keep? whats the next step?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users