Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is it dangerous to post your specs with speccy on a thread?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 TrunksV17

TrunksV17

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:46 AM

please reply ASAP, I am ready to continue, want to post my thread, need help to get into Linux, eager to get started. thank you.

:busy:

Edited by TrunksV17, 04 November 2017 - 01:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:17 AM

No its not Dangerous , nothing to worry about.

Thats why its used here to solve issues with the info it displays / PC, Ram etc.

Its Windows based , not Linux.

Edited by Havachat, 04 November 2017 - 03:19 AM.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 1,935 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:34 AM

If you use the "publish to web" option it removes sensitive information like product keys, remote IP address etc.

#4 TrunksV17

TrunksV17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:12 PM

awesome so here I go...

What distribution should I use?

I am wanting to enter the world of Linux, previous pinned threads offer the aid of how to enter Linux and which distribution to enter. The topic title was suggested to put down for other to help, I hope to receive help for other experienced users. Very eager to enter Linux as an alternative. Saving up to get a laptop in future and want to get into Linux, Novice here and looking to learn a lot about computers in the future, main reason I am here on the site.

- Here are the details of my Windows OS specs from speccy

- I surf the net, email, netflix
- something a bit more challenging
- prefer decent amount of help in terms of forum support and tutorial (I do not want to get lost completely, I also want to do some research and do some things on my own but I don't want to get lost)
- A different look would be awesome

Its Windows based , not Linux.

what do you mean by this?^^

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:25 PM

Speccy is windows only.

As for your hardware you are good to go.

I will go with my usual suggestion of Linux Mint due to it being easy to use and good for those who are interested in linux.

While in terms of looks it will be on the familiar side with it resembling windows but still offering customization.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

I recommend its 64bit cinnamon edition

For something a little different there is ubuntu MATE

Ubuntu MATE is also quite easy as its welcome screen is very nice to new users.

https://ubuntu-mate.org/

I recommend its 64bit LTS release 16.04.3 as the other releases are interim release and both are on the unstable side of things.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#6 TrunksV17

TrunksV17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:32 PM

Speccy is windows only.

As for your hardware you are good to go.
I will go with my usual suggestion of Linux Mint due to it being easy to use and good for those who are interested in linux.
While in terms of looks it will be on the familiar side with it resembling windows but still offering customization.
https://www.linuxmint.com/

For something a little different there is ubuntu MATE
Ubuntu MATE is also quite easy as its welcome screen is very nice to new users.
https://ubuntu-mate.org/

I recommend its 64bit LTS release 16.04.3 as the other releases are interim release and both are on the unstable side of things.

Awesome! Thanks for the prompt response. Understood about speccy being windows. Now from my understanding I can now either try out Linux mint and ubuntu mate.

Am I correct in this suggestion?

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:34 PM

Yup you got it.

Both are what i usually suggest to try for new users.

Edited by MadmanRB, 04 November 2017 - 01:35 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#8 TrunksV17

TrunksV17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

How do i try both out at once? I would think that I only have one choice at the moment. I didnt know that I can try both OS at once. So is this possible? Trying both OS at once?

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:56 PM

There is a thing called a live installer in linux, basically it lets you try the OS without installing it.

If you have say a thumb drive its going to be easier, if you have say a 4 GB usb thumbdrive you can use it to try whatever flavor of linux you want.

Linux unlike windows is not limited to one single user interface or one single distributor it is more of a collection of systems.

When we refer to linux we usually mean the kernel, the kernel is the core of a operating system

This is why linux has so many versions and flavors as you can make linux into whatever you wanted it to be, its open source nature is what makes this possible.

Unlike windows or OSX linux is open and free to use, there is no company behind it and its very flexible.

Linux can be adapted quite easily, this is why its the backbone of both chromeOS and android not to mention roku streaming media players, amazon fire sticks, kindle tablets and many other things you would not think of.

Even samsung smart refrigerators run on linux.

Edited by MadmanRB, 04 November 2017 - 01:57 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,883 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 02:18 PM

How do i try both out at once? I would think that I only have one choice at the moment. I didnt know that I can try both OS at once. So is this possible? Trying both OS at once?

Not all at once, but one at a time.  Or, if you have more than one USB...or even DVD's you can install One Operating System to each.  On the USB, you can install one Linux OS to it and try it out FROM the USB without disturbing your Windows 10 machine.  Then you can install another one later if you want to try something else.  Or, if you have Two USB's you can install One Operating System to each.  Later you can learn to install more than one to each USB, but I think for now it will be fine to just try one at a time.

There is a thing called a live installer in linux, basically it lets you try the OS without installing it.

If you have say a thumb drive its going to be easier, if you have say a 4 GB usb thumbdrive you can use it to try whatever flavor of linux you want.

This is what Madman was referring to, and to add, I will leave you with a few Tutorials on how to do this.  

1. First you will need to download the iso that MRB Pointed you to above, and make sure that you get a good download.  If you need help with this just ask.  Then you will Open the Tool below and "Browse" to the ISO that you previously downloaded to make the USB Bootable with Linux Mint.  There are choices in the Tool to download Linux Mint, but most of them are older versions, so again, Browse to the ISO you downloaded.

a. Also make sure to Check the "Format" Box just in case there is any hidden files on the USB.

I will leave you with a few Tutorials on how to Create Boot-able Linux USB from Windows, and you can choose which one suits you best.  Both are using what I think is the easiest tool to use for beginners.  There are other tools also you can use if you are already familiar with or already have on you pc, if so you would know if you have one of them. 

http://dailylinuxuser.com/2014/05/how-to-create-bootable-linux-mint-usb.html

https://itsfoss.com/create-live-usb-of-ubuntu-in-windows/

Edited by pcpunk, 04 November 2017 - 02:20 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#11 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 654 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:04 PM

This is a good place to start learning about how to get started with Linux.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/

Edited by The-Toolman, 04 November 2017 - 03:27 PM.

Linux Peppermint 7 (64 Bit) Dell Dimension E521 (06 / 11 / 2007) / Amd Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Processor (2.1 GHz, 1024 KB L2 Cache, rev. G1, Socket AM2) / Samsung Memory DDR2, 4.0 GB, 533 MHz FSB / Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE [C51] Integrated Graphics Adapter.

Linux Peppermint 8 (32 Bit) / Dell Optiplex 360 (11 / 28 / 2008) / Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300 Conroe (1.86 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB, 2M Cache, LGA 775 Socket) / DDR2 Memory 3.0 GB, 800 MHz FSB / Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE [G72] PCIE.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:22 PM

Yeah thats great for a new mint/ Ubuntu user.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#13 TrunksV17

TrunksV17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:12 PM

everybody here that contributed on helping me with starting off to use Linux, thank you!  :clapping:  :bananas:

you guys are the best with helping a friend out  :gathering: , I greatly appreciate this.

#14 TrunksV17

TrunksV17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:30 PM

I will go with this recommendation for now^^

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:55 AM

Nice choice, mint is a great distro for those new to linux and is a fantastic starting point.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users