Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unusual Periodic Freezing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JReich

JReich

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:28 PM

Specs:

Windows 10 Pro

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X

SLI NVIDIA 1070

SSD as Primary

WD Green/Black as Secondary Drives
1100W PSU

Problem:

The primary problem the computer is experiencing is an unusual and periodic freeze. This freeze never causes the computer to completely cease up and I've never had to reboot fully to fix it. There is no specific period of time that passes between each occurrence. Though the time interval when it does occur is usually fairly close. Somewhere between 10-20 seconds. There is no specific action that causes it too happen.

Notes:

1. If a video game is being played sometimes the video itself will completely pause (not often enough to be annoying, just frustrating). Or it may not affect the video game at all.
  2. If a movie is being played on the computer. The movie has never stopped playing. Even if the computer freezes the video will continue.

Attempted Resolutions:

1. Complete and multiple reformat of the computer. Does not appear to be a software issue. Issues will present themselves shortly after OS load and way before any particular programs are loaded into the machine.
  2. Swapping/removing memory cards.
    1. It was impossible to determine whether it made anything 'better' or if I was just imagining less occurrences in my head. Results were not significant.
  3. Ran a complete memory test. No errors were reported.
  4. Ran a computer CPU stress test. No errors were reported.
  5. Removed (turned offline) various hard drives at random.
    1. It was impossible to determine whether it made anything 'better' or if I was just imagining less occurrences in my head. Results were not significant.
  6. Have not tried to switch out the primary SSD on the computer. Although CHKDSK cannot find anything wrong on any of the hard drives in the machine. 
  7. Temperature inside the computer is holding and is normal. 

Any thoughts. Ideas. Tests. That you may have would be appreciated. The problem is not annoying (or often enough) to have caused me to spend a larger amount of time on this issue. But also just frustrating enough to want it resolved.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JReich

JReich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:42 PM

Spent a number of moments actually looking into the problem again. Noticed the following common event log.

storahci - Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

Found the following instructions in reference:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kevinholman/2013/06/21/event-id-129-storachi-reset-to-device-deviceraidport0-was-issued/

I have made the changes mentioned. Will see if it makes any difference.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:33 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy-v131.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users