Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copy Mbr From One Disk To Another

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hanky

hanky

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 22 September 2006 - 05:14 PM

I bought a new harddrive and copied the smaller one to the bigger on using casper XP, however the MBR failed to copy so I am having trouble booting from the bigger hard drive... Can anyone please tell me how to copy the mbr?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 22 September 2006 - 07:39 PM

hi, hanky,

did you change the drives jumpers once you finished copying, new drive would now be master, and old drive slave.? also change places so master connects at end of ide cable if they are ide.

Edited by rubiconeye, 22 September 2006 - 07:41 PM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 23 September 2006 - 08:32 AM

Have you paid for this software - or is it the trial version. If you paid, I'd suggest contacting their support for a specific solution to the MBR problem.

Here's some links to software that will copy the MBR: http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best/full-copy-mbr.html

I haven't used any of them tho' - so it's your choice. FWIW - I'd suggest using another program to do this. Sometimes the manufacturer of the hard drive will have a free utility for this. And, if not, I'd recommend that you use Acronis True Image (about $50 US) for this purpose. There are other free alternatives out there - but I haven't tried any of them either.

FYI - they have an interesting article on Windows activation here:
http://www.fssdev.com/products/casperxp/faq.aspx
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 hanky

hanky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 11:20 PM

Thank you very much for your help, I will go and try and use the software you recommended USASMA, I have just used a trial version of casper XP, that might be where the problem is...

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:19 AM

Most hard disk manufacturers provide migration software with new hard drives, or you may be able to download it from their support sites.

#6 hanky

hanky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:07 AM

I have managed to fix it all using an alternate method... Working now, however, I have on more problem... When starting windows media centre I get a blue screen and then its crash dumping the memory and then restarting... i am using windows vista rc1 os. Anyone know how to fix this?

Cheers
Henk

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:43 AM

Have you reported the BSOD to Microsoft? Generally, with a beta you'll get good support while they try to fix it (I had it with a STOP 0x9e error).

There's been lot's of fixes added after Vista RC1 - so there may already have been a fix made for your problem.

Are you dual booting between Windows Media Center Edition and Windows Vista? Or are you using the Media Center funcionality within Vista?

If you're getting a Blue Screen (BSOD), then we'll need the exact error message to figure it out. Here's a link on how to read the BSOD and how to use Event Viewer to locate the record of the BSOD: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users