Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pulling hair out over Peer-to-Peer connections

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 matt3948

matt3948

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:07 PM

I am attempting to use my Windows 10 desktop to play peer to peer games (p2p) like Borderlands 2 and Pit People. However, there is some setting causing my desktop to not be able to play p2p games without using hamachi or similar software. I know that it's a setting on this computer alone and not router/modem/ISP as my laptop works fine. I have tried disabling the firewall completely (didn't work), tried specifically opening ports in the firewall (didn't work), and tried restoring the default firewall rules as well. I have also undone the "Shut UP Windows 10" settings.

Let me know if any additional information is needed.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:20 PM

Not sure it makes a difference but did you disable Window's 10 peer to peer update feature?

https://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the-internet/

#3 matt3948

matt3948
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:29 PM

Not sure it makes a difference but did you disable Window's 10 peer to peer update feature?

https://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the-internet/

Originally, yes this was turned off - but I had a similar idea and reset the windows settings to allow that again. Still unfortunately does not work.  

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:36 PM

Was this an upgrade from a previous Windows OS or a clean Windows 10 install?

#5 matt3948

matt3948
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:39 PM

Clean windows 10 Pro install (a while ago). I don't remember having problems at first - I only noticed after I had moved (thinking it was then my ISP / Modem), but since moving back home I still have the issue.

#6 matt3948

matt3948
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:54 PM

I'm wondering if I should just 'Reset this PC' to reinstall windows and see if that fixes it. Not having much luck finding people with the same issue online. Seems fairly strange

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:58 PM

Try the following. Because you have Pro you can use the group policy editor. If it does not resolve the problem then revert back to the default setting. Before going to 0% try 5% and see if that helps.

https://www.abhizer.com/fast-internet-connection/

Have you checked to see if QOS setting is enabled in your router? That allows one computer to take more bandwidth for certain applications like gaming and torrents.

Edit: I just saw your new post. I would try a reset if none of the above works for you.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 November 2017 - 03:59 PM.

#8 matt3948

matt3948
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:10 PM

Try the following. Because you have Pro you can use the group policy editor. If it does not resolve the problem then revert back to the default setting. Before going to 0% try 5% and see if that helps.

https://www.abhizer.com/fast-internet-connection/

Have you checked to see if QOS setting is enabled in your router? That allows one computer to take more bandwidth for certain applications like gaming and torrents.

Edit: I just saw your new post. I would try a reset if none of the above works for you.

No QoS rules on my router outside of Multimedia settings, and unfortunately the guide you sent does did not work. I'll reset and update the thread. 

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:17 PM

Are you connected via Ethernet or Wifi? The network adapter driver or the adapter itself could be wonky. Uninstall in Device Manager and reboot.

#10 matt3948

matt3948
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:03 PM

Are you connected via Ethernet or Wifi? The network adapter driver or the adapter itself could be wonky. Uninstall in Device Manager and reboot.

Tried this just before I reinstalled, ended up re-installing windows to fix the issue. Thanks for your help!

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:14 PM

No problem, thanks for the update.

I would recommend you create complete disk backups to a USB external drive using any the following software if you do not have imaging software. All allow you to create a bootable CD or USB to recover the image from a USB external drive should the computer no longer boot because of malware, file system corruption, or a failed drive. Using disk imaging software would eliminate the need to reinstall your programs and or updates.

Macrium Reflect Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

Easeus Todo Backup Free

Aomei and Easeus also have file/folder backups, both incremental and differential with Easeus being the easiest to use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users