Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Lenovo 300S, 90DQ

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JerryB52

JerryB52

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

I just received this Lenovo desktop computer the other day. (It was my mother-in-laws who just passed away.)

I tried to boot it up yesterday for the first time and it had a ton of updates in Windows 10.

This computer is less than 2 years old. Afterwards, I tried to re-set to factory setting and I may have screwed up because before it could finish with the install I unplugged it.

Afterwards I tried to boot it back up but now all it will do is put the Lenovo emblem on the monitor for a minute or so then will shut down and start back and do the same thing. Over and over...

I have ran all the Lenovo diagnostics and it's not in the hardware...  Did I screw up the OS???

If so, is there any way to fix it???

This is a Pentium Celeron dual core 1.6 GHz. with 4 gigs memory.

Thanks,

Jerry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 24,679 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:17 PM

Either contact Lenovo for restore media, or download the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 from here:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Boot from the device (if I recall correctly, it's the F12 key to get to the boot menu) and install Windows fresh from there.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have lessened and I'm able to post/respond without too much difficulty. (05 Sep 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems come on suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 JerryB52

JerryB52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:54 AM

Thank you.  I downloaded the tool and burned a DVD with the .ISO files.

Will attempt to do the re-install tomorrow.

I'll let you know how it goes... :)

#4 JerryB52

JerryB52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:11 PM

After putting in the DVD and starting the Boot Menu for DVD, it acts like it wants to install but just freezes up!

All that's on the monitor is the Windows logo and under it the littles circle of loading dots that is stopped....

Now what can I do???

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 24,679 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:11 AM

Try these free bootable hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

You may have difficulty with the bootable hard drive test (you'll have to disable SecureBoot and enable CSM/Legacy mode in the BIOS), but it's necessary to determine if it's the hard drive that's to blame. (FWIW - I don't have a bunch of faith in their hardware diagnostics because of my Lenovo system).

The other option is to install another hard drive and see if you can install Windows on it.  If you can, then the old hard drive is bad.

If you don't have a spare hard drive, you may want to purchase one from a place that will give you your money back if you return it because you don't need it.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have lessened and I'm able to post/respond without too much difficulty. (05 Sep 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems come on suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 JerryB52

JerryB52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:02 PM

Well I dropped off this computer to have a real computer tech attempt to fix it.

No cost for the diagnosis so this is good.

I'll all posted as to what is wrong with it... :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users