Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer slow after time

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 nonnox15

nonnox15

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:58 AM

I use Windows 7, 64 bit

After an hour or two it becomes very slow.

I checked online how clear the cache to see if that would help.

One site referred to using a shortcut to clear cache.  It worked the first few times I used it.  Now it doesn't.

When I clicked on it the Windows Explorer locked up.

I deleted that shortcut and created a new one.  The shortcut used is: %windir%\SysWOW64\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

I use SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes Anti Malware.  I have Nortons and I use the CClearner.

I run the Junk Removal Tool JRT occasionally as well.

But still the computer slows down.

It is using 65% of the physical memory.

Any suggestions other than buying a new computer?

Can't afford a new one.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545  Probably going on 10 years old

Processor    Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU     T6500  @ 2.10GHz, 2100 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
4 GB RAM  500 GB HDD with 191 GB free.7.92 Total virtual memory

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:04 PM

If your laptop starts overheating, your cpu will throttle down to keep from running too hot. That kinda sounds like your situation, possibly over due for a thorough clean out of your cpu heatsink fins and vents

Edited by Joe C, 03 November 2017 - 12:04 PM.

#3 nonnox15

nonnox15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:40 PM

I do have it on a cooling pad.  Normally it does not feel hot.

Thank you.  I will try to clean it out. 

Not sure how to disassemble it to clean it out.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:46 PM

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15055/windows-7-optimize-windows-better-performance

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-your-laptop-2377611

How to Clean the Dust Out of Your Laptop - http://www.howtogeek.com/194479/how-to-clean-the-dust-out-of-your-laptop/

How to Clear Your Browser's Cache (with screenshots) - wikiHow - http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache

Louis

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:15 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy-v131.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 nonnox15

nonnox15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:17 AM

Bleeping Tree Hugger, I have been out of commission and busy for a couple of weeks.

You said to "Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above."

I didn't see the file you are referring to nor the "screen above."

I have downloaded and installed  Speccy.

Thanks for the help. 

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

Please follow the instructions I posted to create the Speccy Snapshot.  If you follow the instructions to the end it will create a hyperlink which when it is clicked on will open a new page with the Speccy results.  What you posted is a link to the Piriform download website, not what is needed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 nonnox15

nonnox15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:43 AM

Sorry.  I misunderstood.

Here is the Speccy snapshot

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/d7oERcXE4cyhdJmxuNwqtI8

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:01 AM

Part of the Speccy looks at you mass storage device (ssd or hdd) to see if there are any problem with the S.M.A.R.T. Attributes.  In this case the S.M.A.R.T. Status is indicating a Danger warning.  For this reason you need to determine the health of this SSHD.

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation of SeatTools for Windows begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

Cn0u1vP.png

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

irtNzsc.png

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

#10 nonnox15

nonnox15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:13 PM

I ran the Seagate and it got to 92% and stayed there for well over an hour.  It seemed to  be locked up.

So I restarted the test.  Again it has gotten to 92$ and doesn't seem to be going on.

Is there a way to see if it is locked up or if it is still running?

#11 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:27 PM

Sometimes if the drive has a bad block on the platter, the software will hang for a very loooong time (hours)

Might want to try running the DOS version (outside of windows)

https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-dos-master/

Edited by Joe C, 24 November 2017 - 07:31 PM.

#12 nonnox15

nonnox15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:28 PM

Over 3 hours and still at 92%.

Any suggestions?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:16 AM

Leave it alone and let it continue.

Eventually, it will either complete or generate an error message indicating that it cannot complete.  The time it takes is immaterial.

Louis

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:55 AM

Follow the instructions below to test your hard drive health with GSmartControl:

1.  Download GSmartControl and save it on your Desktop.

2.  Extract the content of the GSmartControl .zip archive and execute gsmartcontrol.exe.

3.  Identify your drive in the list, and double-click on it to bring up it's window (usually you'll find your drive by it's size or it's brand name).

4.  Click on the Perform Tests tab, then select Extended Self-test in the Test type drop-down list and click on Execute (this test can take a few hours to complete).

Once the test is over, the results will be displayed at the bottom of the window. Please copy and paste these results in your topic.

Click on the Attributes tab and if you have any entries highlighted in red or pink, copy and paste their name in your next reply (or take a screenshot of the GSmartControl window and attach it in your next reply).

info_failing.png

How to make a screenshot and post it in your topic

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot.

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot.

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

posting-options1.png

When you click on More Relpy Options you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

posting-options2.png

#15 nonnox15

nonnox15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:01 PM

I ran the SMART test on the hard drive.

Attached is the result.

I tried to run the DOS boot up test,  but must have done something wrong because it did not work.

The current HDD is the third one I have had on this computer.

The original one, the replacement that I paid for and it failed so got another one free under warranty.

That has been maybe two years ago.

Thanks for the help.

If I could afford it, I would get a new computer. 

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users