Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Several Random Issues - computer possessed by annoying ghost.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Brilling

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:45 AM

I have an Alienware Mx17 laptop and ever since I have upgraded to windows 10 it seems like there are several random errors happening. I guess I am not sure if it is a software or hardware issue but I am getting very annoyed with them at this point. It is almost like my computer is possessed with an annoying weak ghost. No idea of these are all related but here are some of the things that have been happening.

- Computer clock keeps getting off time in the bottom status bar. If I actually click on the clock it will show me the correct time on the pop up and it will usually update the status bar time but not always.

- All computer menu pop ups are REALLY slow for a long time after I boot up my computer. If I turn on my computer, open the internet, and try to open my bookmarks there is just a white box while the bookmarks load. This also happens if I try to right click with the mouse. There is just a white box that takes forever to load. The actual computer isn't working hard when this is happening so I am not sure where that is coming from.

- If my computer goes to sleep on it's own it will not play any sounds through the speakers after I wake it back up. The keyboard will also randomly stop working as well.

- If my computer goes to sleep on it's own and I try to wake it up sometimes the initial loading will just freeze and I have to hard reset

- Finally I just tried to use Excel for the first time in a long time and it is very unresponsive. If I type the computer takes 30 seconds before it recognizes the inputs. 

Again the computer is not working hard during any of this and it only has like a 5% CPU utilization according to the task manager. 

Antivirus is windows defender and is up to date.

Anyone have any advice for any of this? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:24 PM

sometime upgrades create problems.  you may want to consider doing a fresh install of windows 10.

#3 dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,165 posts
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:52 AM

I would hold off on reinstalling the operating system. 

You described a problem with the system clock not keeping accurate time. 

Have you tried resetting the Date and Time in the Control Panel?

Is the Time Zone set correctly for your time zone?

I don't know how old this specific computer is, but the Mx17 was originally released for sale in 2009.  This means that this computer could be eight years old.  One of the items which can require replacement in due course of time is the CMOS battery.  This is the battery mounted on the motherboard, it resemble a silver coin.  This battery sells for about $5.00 US dollars.  I would spend the money on a new battery and replace the old one.  You will need to observe the proper polarity when you install the new battery.  The proper polarity should have the + positive side of the battery facing up away from the motherboard.

Please do this and let us know what the results are.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users