Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can M.2 sockets be explained to me please

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Teisei

Teisei

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:07 AM

I have poked around and watched some videos on M.2 and seems I can't really expect any noticeable performance boost. But I would like to at least use the slot to get some experience with it my self.

I got a MSI X370 GAMING PLUS AM4 AMD board

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144030

Newegg shows "KEY M" as the socket type but when I look at the hard drives they seem to go by numbers for the socket types.

But on the other hand none of the forums or videos I have watched mention anything about socket types... so not sure if there is any variations at all in the first place.

Any other pointers/information is welcomed also.. things have changed a lot since I went to tech school but I still like to at least try to keep up. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:50 AM

Socket type is rarely mentioned as virtually every M.2 SSD is using M-type connector and motherboard M.2 SSD connectors are M-type too almost 100%.

So basically that's something you don't have to worry with M.2 SSD.

#3 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:03 AM

I actually put one in the other day, and came from a SSD to begin with.  I am in my desktop in about 3 seconds from when I hit the power button.  Before it would take anywhere from 5-10 seconds.  Also here is a pretty good lengthy explination of what exactly the different things mean.  https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/02/understanding-m-2-the-interface-that-will-speed-up-your-next-ssd/

EDIT:  Forgot to add, if you are coming from a mechanical drive you will notice a world of difference in everything.

Edited by TheJokerz, 03 November 2017 - 09:03 AM.

pa9d6f-4.png

#4 Teisei

Teisei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:11 AM

Thank you Jokerz,
I use both mechanical and SSDs in my systems.... though mechanical drives don't seem to last long these days even if only for storage I hardly access.

I wish I could find a good network hard drive... but all the ones I have seen make you give your password (or other means of access) to... I guess if government is big brother corporations are big sister.

It would only be digital back ups of my driver disks, movies and music... but still don't want big sister poking around in my stuff.

#5 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:18 AM

Build your own.  I built one using the freenas as the os, I even have it running plex for all of my movies.  It is very versatile, you can use it as a NAS.

pa9d6f-4.png

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:24 AM

One thing to note is that some M.2. drives use the SATA connection and protocol, and others use PCI Express.  PCI Express has potentially a lot more bandwidth.

There are a range of SATA based M.2. SSD's around which essentially perform exactly the same as their 2.5" counterparts.  They just offer a more compact form factor, and no cabling, but no other real advantage.  The latest PCIe based drives also use an interface called NVME (Non-Volatile Memory Express) instead of AHCI, and can offer theoretical speeds up to just under 4 GB/s (vs 600 MB/s with SATA).

An example of an older SATA based M.2. SSD - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8WZ2FT/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mzn5e250bw

An example of a newer PCIe NVME drive - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZNBrxr/samsung-960-evo-250gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v6e250

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:26 AM

Although that Arstechnica article is very accurate, it is a bit out dated because it did not touch M.2 NVMe SSD.

PCI Express using NVMe Used for PCI Express SSDs and interfaced through the NVMe driver and provided PCI Express lanes, as a high-performance and scalable host controller interface designed and optimized especially for interfacing with PCI Express SSDs. NVMe has been designed from the ground up, capitalizing on the low latency and parallelism of PCI Express SSDs, and complementing the parallelism of contemporary CPUs, platforms and applications. At a high level, primary advantages of NVMe over AHCI relate to NVMe's ability to exploit parallelism in host hardware and software, based on its design advantages that include data transfers with fewer stages, greater depth of command queues, and more efficient interrupt processing.

This maybe more indepth that you may want but it does seem to be more up to date when it comes to M.2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2

#8 Teisei

Teisei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:33 AM

Thank you Jonuk and Joe,
If I have extra money to play around with this next time I build a new computer I will look in to these.

@Jokerz

Wow I can not believe I didn't think of that.....
All my towers are full size so probably wont fit in my hall closet... only about 8in x 2ft... so might actually have a reason to look in to a smaller case.

#9 Teisei

Teisei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:35 AM

Drillingmachine

Oh, I didn't even see your post man... I am sorry. Thank you for your help also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users