Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macrium Reflect - Do I need to recreate PE disk each time?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 XML2005

XML2005

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:44 PM

About six months back, I created an image of my disk to an external hard drive, using Macrium Reflect Free. I also created a Macrium PE Rescue CD. (I use online backup for my data.)

Recently, my hard drive crashed and I was able to restore the system from my Macrium image. I then ran subsequent Microsoft and application updates, which took a while, and restored my data. It worked beautifully!

I'd like to create an updated image. Do I also need to create a new Rescue CD every time I create an image, or will my old one still work?

Thank you, all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:58 PM

You can use the same rescue disk. The only time I make a new rescue disk is if Macrium updates to a newer version.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:32 PM

+JohnC_21....Macrium Reflect updates often, so be aware. I have used (not too) older rescue disks and still had successful restores, but John is actually correct. Best to keep current.

Edited by ranchhand_, 04 November 2017 - 11:18 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me but no guarantee I will respond.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:22 PM

ranchhand, +1 on your MR comments.  I will add that not all as easy as MR -- I learned that backups made with Image for Windows 3.22 cannot be restored with Image for Windows 3.xx (anything older than 3.22).  In short, stay with MR6 or MR7 if EZ-ness is desired.   :)

Edited by RolandJS, 04 November 2017 - 06:24 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#5 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:00 AM

Thanks to all you guys who responded!

I always back up with the latest version, so I guess this means I should recreate the rescue disk with each update. Thank you for the clarification.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users