Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Skype For Linux

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:56 PM

As NickAu reported...

New Skype for Linux Released – Download Skype for Linux Ubuntu

http://sourcedigit.com/22876-new-skype-for-linux-download-skype-for-linux-ubuntu/

I've been using it for a few days. It now has a time and date stamp on phone calls. It is much faster. The last release

would disconnect as soon as I answered a call which meant I would have to call back whoever was calling...a bit of a pain. Not any more.

I have a Skype telephone number and use it like a landline with a speaker phone. I only do voice calls. 

I really like the speed improvement and the time and date stamp. It has a different interface, too.

Ubuntu Mate 16.04

skype_me_2465005.jpg

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:03 AM

Hi, buddy.

Tried this in Tahr64. The previous Skype 4 Linux 'beta' worked well. This one.....as soon as you've signed in, the screen immediately goes blank, and crashes. Can't say I'm surprised.

Running it from the terminal, absolutely no error messages are shown when this happens, so.....I have NO idea what's going on.

Since I've been using WIRE for quite a while now, it's a moot point. No loss..... 

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 03 November 2017 - 07:13 AM.

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

#3 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:01 AM

I am currently trying out Wire Secure Messenger as a replacement for Skype.

I have the android version on my phone, and because I only use it for family members, my contact list is fairly small.

My calls are limited to a few a week, mostly on the week end.

If you are looking for an alternative that is multi platform, you may want to try this out.

https://wire.com/en/

Cheers!

Naught

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,605 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:39 PM

Wire installed without any problems in Mint 18.2, I just installed it using the supplied scripts. It also installed perfectly well and without problem in Win 7 - the other side of my dual-booting desktop - and in a laptop running Win 8.1 which I use for teaching.

This is very timely. One of my elderly 'students' was after me about 'Whatsapp' on Linux. I have been trying to do this on my Linux OS and while I believe it is possible, at least everything on Google says it is, it is not easy. I said I would look at this as my 'homework'. It appears to require at least three stages. First install VirtualBox, which was easy since it came out of the Mint repositories. Then install a virtual Android tablet using Genymotion. I eventually got this to install once I cracked the syntax of the connmmands and it works as a tablet. the final stage would have been to install Whatsapp on the virtual tablet. And then Mike and Naught came up with Wire.

Come Thursday, our next meeting, she is getting Wire installed on her laptop then it is simply a matter of getting her granddaughter to install it on her laptop and they can communicate without incurring fairly substantial phone bills.

Still I suppose it would be good for my soul - if not my temper - to go and complete this exercise by seeing if Whatsapp will install and run on my virtual tablet. I don't think it will ever replace my Kindle reader. I can just see my beloved's reaction if I come to bed with a desktop and a 24 inch monitor !

Chris Cosgrove

The woman in my life is dragging me away for the weekend coming. PMs may not be answered as quickly as usual.

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:21 AM

Glad to hear you've tried WIRE out, Chris. Let us know how you get on with it, please?

Since discovering this some time last year, I simply haven't bothered with Skype any longer. It updates very simply (especially if you run the AppImages, as I do).....and, unlike Skype, functionality is not constantly 'broken' between upgrades.

I'm that impressed with its cross-platform abilities, and ease of installation, that I'm recommending this to everyone I know these days, regardless of the platform they run.

I reckon WIRE ought to pay me commission as their 'marketing ambassador'..!!  :lol:  :lol:

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 07 November 2017 - 06:25 AM.

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

#6 ChirunoIceFairy

ChirunoIceFairy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:47 AM

Why does anyone would care about Skype in 2017 where it has basically became some sort of strange clone of Snapchat, Instagram and Discord (all three of which I hate) with a UI that looks like something designed by and made for 12 year olds on the mobile version? I'm not even surprised Microsoft has butchered the Linux version and also left it discontinued for so long, to try to gain a monopoly on the market...

This is why I stick to actual protocols like IRC, XMPP and decentralised, secure platforms rather than centralised, proprietary and freedom-stripping rubbish that you can't be in control of.

Edited by ChirunoIceFairy, 07 November 2017 - 08:48 AM.

#7 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 12,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:16 AM

Another update for Skype this morning. Looks to be all under the hood changes.

ChirunoiceFairy....try calling a landline or cellphone using one of your preferred programs. That is all I use Skype for..placing phone calls and

receiving phone calls. Don't use its video or text features. For what I use it for...works just fine.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 ChirunoIceFairy

ChirunoIceFairy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:27 AM

Skype is useful in that case but it doesn't excuse it from being a buggy piece of trash that is probably selling your phone call data to the NSA and marketing companies.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:51 AM

Why does anyone would care about Skype in 2017 where it has basically became some sort of strange clone of Snapchat, Instagram and Discord (all three of which I hate) with a UI that looks like something designed by and made for 12 year olds on the mobile version? I'm not even surprised Microsoft has butchered the Linux version and also left it discontinued for so long, to try to gain a monopoly on the market...

This is why I stick to actual protocols like IRC, XMPP and decentralised, secure platforms rather than centralised, proprietary and freedom-stripping rubbish that you can't be in control of.

It's good for free calls & chats between Microsoft Accounts (or Outlook/Hotmail) users, many of us has an extensive list of contacts. While Skype is far from perfect & the UI doesn't look like much thought process went in, is still very popular, used by many. While I can adapt to most any other if needed, it's hard to convince some of my most frequent contacts to make the switch from a platform they've used since inception. I mean, why fix what's not broken? That's why I added Skype for Linux long ago, although was less functional than today & still not quite the same as on Windows. :(

Yes, Microsoft does sell customer data to carefully screened offerings, yet I believe the NSA deal has been overblown. Few smart minded criminals would touch Skype for their deeds, as the app collects device information, making it traceable to the user. Most would prefer another messaging app or connect via the Tor browser somehow, chances are, they have a messenger app also. 

For the last 4-5 years on these Tech forums, all I've hears is how the NSA is looking over everyone's shoulder, yet have not heard a single person in face to face conversation mention having the NSA knocking on their door & that includes myself. Chances are that the ISP's that we pay for are more apt to 'peek' into our business than the NSA, example when I called for service, they knew I have self-installed VoIP (that they'd prefer to provide & call 'digital phone service') & Apple TV connected to the network. Our ISP's will have & retain far more data than the NSA has collected on most US citizens, no matter how the numbers are presented. Probably because ISP figures won't be exposed. If there's one major competitor in a given area that leaks as much data as (example) the other three combined, many will make the switch to another. Even if that one collects as much, if not more, data than the one caught red handed. 

Like my colleague buddy215, I use Skype for free calling with my other Skype contacts, am not into the video nor text features. :)

In fact, except when have my motion detector on while away, my webcam's lid is flipped over the lens & usually unplugged when not in use. On my notebooks, carefully using a close as possible matched color of tape, have the combo webcam/mic tightly covered with a narrow Band-Aid, then apply the layer of tape that matches the color. Usually black electrical or grey duct tape matches the scheme & very few notices. When needed, I'll use a set of earbuds with a mic called Ultimate Ears, which produces better quality audio & microphone experience then the onboard anyway, while ensuring that one cannot catch me on video. 

Oddly in this day & time, while notebook screens have gone to 4K on many models, the bundled webcam is still 720p, so the video will be crappy anyway & I don't expect the mic is much better. :lol:

Will give WIRE a shot on one of my Linux Mint 17.3/18.2 installs & compare the difference, although I don't expect it to be a gamebreaker. Not as long as my most frequently contacts uses Skype, plus can make free calls throughout the US & Canada within my GMail account to those not on the list. :)

Cat

ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer PC. EVGA GTX 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 8GB GDDR5 GPU! 4K!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/w3mBsNE6cJXW7on5sbNTFDc  (Updated 10/07/2017)

ASRock Z97 Extreme6, EVGA GTX 1060 FTW + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tbdS4YKHBvWROeKETAMBRKk  (Updated 04/12/2017))                                                                       

Dell XPS 8700, Revived from the Dead, EVGA GTX 1060 SSC + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KrNXc5IZ6HmJvrrLVSZbGzi  (Updated 05/17/2017)

ASUS 970 PRO Gaming AURA, with a cool running AMD Phenom x4 965 CPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/c0aVnEnmxFmqX5Pf1nOhCKf   (Updated 10/10/2017)

Dell Dimension 2400 Rebuild, Done the Right Way! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/MLv5xbYuI2vsLqvtS4PaDGB  (Updated 10/20/2017)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users