Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What would be a good AMD CPU upgrade from the specs below?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SocialAnt

SocialAnt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:30 PM

What is in my computer now. No gaming. The only possible graphics intensive/memory hog program will be Chief Architect X9

Brand: AMD

Series: FX-4000 Series

Name: FX-4350

Model FD4350FRHKBOX

CPU Socket Type: Socket AM3+

Core Name: Vishera

# of Cores: Quad-Core

# of Threads: 4

Operating Frequency: 4.2 GHz

Max Turbo Frequency: 4.3 GHz

L2 Cache: 2 x 2MB

L3 Cache: 8MB

Manufacturing Tech: 32nm

64-Bit Support: Yes

Hyper-Transport Support: Yes

Virtualization Technology Support: Yes

Memory: 8gb

Edited by SocialAnt, 02 November 2017 - 04:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:02 PM

Discussion.

I have a FX8320 and I would say that any upgrade considerations...depend on just what you hope to achieve/gain.

If you consider going to any of the Ryzens...that means new motherboard, new RAM...in effect, a new system.

I thought about building a new system for over a year now...and it just doesn't make sense for me.  I'm not a gamer and it seems to me that gaming is the driving force behind all MB, CPU, RAM, system upgrades.  That may well have been the case in the past also, but I'm a slow thinker and even slower to spend money on a new system that won't make my computing habits/desires more efficient in a considerable manner.

Others here are far more technically qualified to advise/comment...I'm just a casual/everyday user with no aptitude for understanding hardware.

Louis

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:05 AM

You are upgrading because? If you already don't have SSD, that's good upgrade even if keeping same CPU.

Remember that CPU upgrade helps a lot only if you are stressing system with software that uses many cores.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users