Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown hardware problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Foginhu

Foginhu

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:50 PM

Specs (copy pasting from Speccy)

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU
AMD FX-6300 Vishera 32nm Technology

RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (2 4GB sticks)

Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A78L-M LX/BR (AM3R2)

Graphics
E2041 (1600x900@60Hz) 2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 200 Series (Gigabyte)

Storage
298GB Seagate ST3320418AS ATA Device (SATA) - let's call this "HD1"
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1SB102 ATA Device (SATA) - let's call this "HD2"

Some time ago while trying to launch a game, my computer suddenly restarted with no warnings or apparent issues, after trying to launch the game again I got a message saying the game was "moved" or "deleted", that was when I first saw my HD2 wasn't showing up under "This PC" anymore, there were no problems until this point. (note: HD2 wasn't the boot drive at this point)
At first I just assumed HD2 was problematic so I tried moving games from it to HD1, no success. At this point my PC would start freezing, resetting or getting BSODs kind of randomly, mostly after some time of use. I tried running cmd commands such as wmic and chkdsk but they never pointed errors in any HD. Because of the BSODs and PC freezes I thought HD1 was the problematic one and it was affecting HD2, or something else entirely.
I started trying lesser intensive things such as watching videos and playing browser games to see how my computer would react but the random freezes/BSODs didn't stop, not only that, booting alone started being a pain. HDs would stop getting detected, BSODs would keep happening while booting with the error code as "inacessible boot device" (it boots properly after some more attempts), and when the BSOD happens while using the computer, the error message is "critical process died".
I've tried resetting the BIOS, using different SATA cables and different ports but no difference at all. HD tests through cmd commands or even SeaTools never detects a problem when they can run properly, as if my HDs just decides when they'll get detected and when they won't. SeaTools mentioned the possibility of a cable problem.
While in use, simple tasks such as trying to open Google Chrome or even Windows' own system features *CAN* make my disk usage (looking at it through Task Manager) jump to 100% or so, in these cases, read/write speeds and average response time remains at 0 or at very low values; if I wait it usually goes back to normal after a while and the program works, but that's limited to non-intensive things such as a browser, games are still a no-go...
As of now I'm using HD2 as my boot drive since HD1 feels more vulnurable to freezing or getting a BSOD.

Extra info:

I tested my RAM just in case, tried 1 stick at a time and it didn't make a difference in the issue.
Before dying from BSODs, struggling to boot through BSODs or simply freezing mid usage, whichever HD I have for boot makes clicky and/or screechy-ish noises, specially HD1, HD2 seems to be more "resistent" all-around.
Boot showing HD2 having an error https://i.imgur.com/iTd9w2F.jpg (happened multiple times both before and after installing OS in it)
This is possibly unrelated but under "Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings > Change advanced power settings" I have my processor options set as https://i.imgur.com/9QXgaIo.png (I have it that way for about a year or more), I don't remember how I came across this when I changed it to that but I was getting some random PC restarts if left at 100%, I already tried lowering it a bit since the current problem started but it didn't help.
I don't have other computers to test things directly in a different machine.

Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:16 PM

The multiple issues and faults leads me to think of the CMOS battery.  When the cell gets low or dead, BIOS can no longer keep the clock running or HOLD and BIOS settings.  Options and settings get scrambled and can be a real headache.  Replace the battery and select the default factory settings to get things back on track again.

#3 Foginhu

Foginhu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:20 PM

Could that be the issue even if I didn't make any changes in the BIOS settings after resetting it?

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,487 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:19 PM

The battery failure can cause a whole boatload of seemingly unrelated faults.  From not finding the memory, the right hard drive or even get past the BIOS to see if it will boot.  The BIOS settings affect every aspect of the hardware and if the BIOS list doesn't match the hardware found, it will often just stop with a blank screen.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:20 AM

Please post the Speccy Snapshot link.

If needed, the instructions below will walk you through this process.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy-v131.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Foginhu

Foginhu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

I replaced the CMOS battery today and ran a SeaTools for DOS, did a basic long test, no errors detected, after booting the disk usage was still 100% for a few seconds though...

Here's the Speccy snapshot:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/EindUo6InqOcAjhhZSZNfei

#7 Foginhu

Foginhu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:59 PM

Not sure if this is relevant at all but about 30 minutes ago or so I got a bluescreen with the error code as "Kernell data inpage error"

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:13 AM

Please try the Speccy again.  The link does not work.  Follow the steps one at a time in the instructions and this should work.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Foginhu

Foginhu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:19 PM

I tried the one I posted, it worked for me. In any case, here's the new one: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/bSlcRPOkF435tr8xzR8Kf50

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:28 PM

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation of SeatTools for Windows begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

Cn0u1vP.png

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

irtNzsc.png

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

#11 Foginhu

Foginhu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

I already did it using SeaTools for DOS (SeaTools as a bootable external device), no errors.

I replaced the CMOS battery today and ran a SeaTools for DOS, did a basic long test, no errors detected, after booting the disk usage was still 100% for a few seconds though...

Here's the Speccy snapshot:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/EindUo6InqOcAjhhZSZNfei

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:50 PM

Too many topics, too many posts, I lose track occasionally. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users