Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstall microsoft apps

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BonesB

BonesB

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:45 PM

How do I get rid of Xbox, groove music and now a new app Mixed Reality Portal & Mixed Reality Viewer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:21 PM

I use CCleaner but Revo works good too.

https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,471 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:38 PM

How do I get rid of Xbox, groove music and now a new app Mixed Reality Portal & Mixed Reality Viewer?

I wouldn't.  Taking out apps that ship with the OS has proven to be a probable cause of a variety of issues ever since Win10 made its debut.

Just don't use them.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 966 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:29 AM

I also use CCleaner to uninstall those things.

No problems here.

#5 BonesB

BonesB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:48 PM

OK Thank you

#6 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:16 AM

I wouldn't.  Taking out apps that ship with the OS has proven to be a probable cause of a variety of issues ever since Win10 made its debut.

Just don't use them.

Exactly, nothing is to be gained by removing them.

#7 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:58 AM

I happened to discover a nice one after an uninstall went awry and a pesky  installer popup was happening...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_installer_cleanup_utility.html

the info contained therein suggest to use traditional uninstall methods, control panel...prior to invoking this utility

i like revo myself, but sometimes Revo can't get them all (registry entries)

HP bloatware is the big one that needs multiple attempts to clean them up after uninstalling

Edited by synergy513, 13 December 2017 - 04:10 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:15 PM

Personally I found HP bloatware quite easy to get rid of (well it was on a windows 8.1 machine in 2015), as long as you don't mind a few semi-empty folders lurking afterwards, windows normal "control panel --> programs and features" uninstaller did it fine and I finished off by disabling HP's services from the services tab of task manager. As for windows' built in bloateware removal isn't so easy, but there are plenty of ways to disable it so it never does anything or tries to open in any way or triggers any background services.

If you're really desperate you could hunt down the exe files for the unwanted stuff and delete them, but you'd REALLY want to make a full system image backup first, and backup your personal fiels several times over too as this kind of manual removal of system files can have catastrophic effects if you fiddle with truly vital ones. Easiest to just disable them and their service.

Edited by rp88, 14 December 2017 - 06:16 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users