Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SFC Scannow problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wiskerluv

wiskerluv

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:34 PM

I tried the sfc scannow and it won't even open.  I posted a problem earlier also that Combofix won't open either, but got no response.  Is there something stopping these programs from opening?    I have used Malwarebytes, Malware Adware Remover,, Windows Defender, AVG antivirus, SuperAnti spyware and none of them find any problems.  What can I do next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wiskerluv

wiskerluv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:59 PM

O got SFC Scannow to work.  Think I used too many spaces the first time.  It found no problems.  So why can't Combofix open?  Inquiring minds want to know.  Thanks!!

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:55 PM

For future reference it is one space between the 'SFC' part and the '/SCANNOW' part.

As for Combofix - this is a very powerful tool for which you normally need training before using. If you have the training, then fine. If you don't have the training then you are better not to attempt to use it as it is entirely possible that making a mistake can turn your computer into a doorstop !  This is why use of it on BC is restricted to those members of staff who have been trained in how to use it.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:55 AM

@wiskerluv:

Is there some reason you have not provided any details about your system or what the problem is that you think running SFC or Comboxfix is going to resolve - or are you just practicing?

You must have at least one space between command prompt program arguments and you can't have "too many".

50 spaces will work as well as one space:

[attachment=199342:Untitled.jpg]

Sometimes when you see suggestions to run commands it is not clear that at lest one space is needed between the arguments so if I were to suggest such a thing I would try to make it clear by showing the command with more than one space:

sfc  /scannow

Illustrating like that reduces the chances of the next message being "It didn't work" or "I get an error message", etc.

Edited by joseibarra, 03 November 2017 - 01:59 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users