Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a windows laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RRibaudo

RRibaudo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:28 PM

I currently own a MacBook pro which will continue to be main laptop, I'm just in need of a cheap windows laptop either new or second-hand of eBay or wherever that i can run a handful of programs for my job and studies. I had planned on bootcamping my Mac but I don't have enough space to do so. Im looking for something lightweight to carry around with me . Any windows laptop suggestions would be great!

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 02 November 2017 - 02:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:35 PM

There are, IMO, numerous laptops which seem to come forth daily.\

I use Amazon.com to get a feel for what's available and at what prices.  You might take a look at both the new and refurbished laptops available to  hone in on what you may want, price points, and such.

Louis

#3 RRibaudo

RRibaudo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:51 PM

There are, IMO, numerous laptops which seem to come forth daily.\

I use Amazon.com to get a feel for what's available and at what prices.  You might take a look at both the new and refurbished laptops available to  hone in on what you may want, price points, and such.

Louis

Thanks for that information
Do you have any suggestions of windows laptop ( brand or models ) that I can start looking at ?

#4 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:54 PM

IMO, If you are looking for cheap laptops I suggest Acer, they are cheap and good. I am using one from 5 years :P

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:19 AM

Rather than take someone's suggestions re specific models...I believe it's time for you to do a little research.  I don't advise people how to spend their money...since I don't know how much they have...why they want to spend more than I would...and so on.

You are the only person who can decide what's best for you.  The number and proliferation of laptops and the variety of prices...makes any blanket statement by anyone...unacceptable, IMO.

Louis

#6 Shark000

Shark000

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:24 AM

My windows laptop I have been using for 5 years is extremely lagging, I decided to get a new one. My brother recommended me the ASUS laptop, and I'm going to purchase one on bestbuy or promopure.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:38 AM

I have had laptops from Acer, Asus, Toshiba, Dell, and HP and each and every one of them has been fine and lasted for years.   The Acer, my first and an XP machine, is still in service (offline) for some software that has no modern equivalent.

Most laptops are put together using very similar components.   It is more a matter of finding something with adequate processing power, RAM, and storage space for your intended uses.  My experience leads me to the general observation that people often "overbuy" in the processing power realm, get less RAM than is ideal (4GB is the bare minimum I'd even consider these days, 6GB would be better)and are being convinced that SSDs are the only way to go, which is a big mistake if lightning speed (and I do mean lightning speed) is not absolutely essential and you need copious storage space for whatever it is you're doing.

Also, if you do not already own one, you should acquire a USB 3.0 external hard drive at the same time and maintain a regular backup protocol for this machine and any others you own.   This is the cheapest insurance you can acquire against catastrophic data loss.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users