Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

not sure if infected, but computer continually locks up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jdurbin79

jdurbin79

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:15 PM

This laptop is old (Windows 7) and I am trying to transfer all of our pictures and documents off of it so that I can wipe it and start all over.  It continually hangs when transferring files, and runs incredibly slow, if at all.  I am at my wits end with trying everything I know to do.  It will not boot in safe mode, it hangs when you try to do that as well.  I have run regedit and disabled a bunch of start-up programs, but this doesn't appear to have helped anything.  Anyone care to assist in troubleshooting this big paperweight?  I really want to get all of my pictures of my kids off this machine before I wipe it clean.

Thanks in advance.

JOHN

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:33 AM

Hi jdurbin79,

If you want you can post a log that will help to id any potential malware that might be causing problems. See this thread and start at item 6 on how to post a FRST log as a starting point.

Usually only on line once or twice per day so you may not get a reply back from me until the following day.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#3 jdurbin79

jdurbin79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:28 AM

Thanks for your response.  Before I saw your reply, I was able to find a solution, so you can go ahead and close this topic.  I have resolved the issue and installed a new, clean copy of Windows 7 on the machine.  It is back up and running, and I was able to get the photos and documents off of it and onto a portable hard drive before I wiped it.  Thanks again.

JOHN

#4 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:28 PM

Ok good. thanks for letting me know.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users