Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound output after a few changes.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Blackstar57

Blackstar57

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:06 PM

Hello. I have a computer in my rec room that I use to watch movies on an old 53" rear projection HD Hitachi TV. Worked great until I made some changes. I moved everything to a Thermaltake XaserII case so I could add a couple more hard drives with media and a better power supply. The old power supply had a bad fan. New (to me) PS is an Enermax 460 watt. 

Computer basics are ASUS P5Q Pro ATX LGA775 motherboard, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core Processor , 4 gig dual channel ram.

The only difference in this set up besides the case and the Power supply is the power supply only has a 20 pin MB connector where the Mobo has a 24 pin connector. I checked online and found that the 20 pin will work in one end of the 24 pin slot... and it does. Problem is I have no sound. 

I have a stereo single to left/right dual jack plugged into the green audio plug, just as it was before. This goes to the left/right audio in on my Denon AVR-2809-CI receiver. This all worked before the change over so I'm wondering why I have no sound. Don't know if the 24 to 20 pin change has anything to do with it or not.

Any hints on where to look would be very much appreciated... 

Thanks, 

Glenn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:21 PM

you might check but on almost all atx power supplies there is a 4 pin connector that attaches to the 20pin connector to make it a 24pin connector.

those 4 pins supply PCI-E so it could be possible that it's suppling power to the audio section of the board.

#3 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:02 PM

you might check but on almost all atx power supplies there is a 4 pin connector that attaches to the 20pin connector to make it a 24pin connector.

those 4 pins supply PCI-E so it could be possible that it's suppling power to the audio section of the board.

The only other connector that looks close is the 4 pin ATX 12v connector. 

#4 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:27 AM

Update.I reinstalled the original power supply with the 24 pin connector and still had no sound. I found an old front multi panel that has sound, usb ports, etc. and plugged it into the MOBO. Now I have sound. I read that there were known problems with these mobos. (I originally said this was a ASUS P5Q Pro ATX LGA775. My bad... it is an A8N32-SLI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users