Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Attempts to boot (TS performed) and other issues...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 jibberishballr

jibberishballr

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:16 PM

Hey All!

Problem Statement:

PC requires two boots from a cold start and restart. I felt I had diagnosed it to Motherboard and purchased a new different motherboard with updated BIOs but the issue remains. This happens nearly every time. On restarts I have had success, but cold starts it always happens.

Link to my specs

Troubleshooting:

Tested PS supply with multimeter and tried another PS with the same issue

Tested with only the SSD hooked up (different SATA cables). Other hard drives disconnected.

Tested with different and individual RAM (removed one ram stick as it was causing issues)

Tested with and without graphics card (no change)

Put new thermal paste and reseated CPU and CPU cooler.

All fans seem to be working properly

Motherboard is brand new with updated BIOS

All drivers are up to date.

Windows is activated with legit product key.

Random other issues:

1. Start menu was not able to be clicked on. Ran TS and couldn't resolve. Installed classic powershell which fixed this one.
  2. Windows update not showing up anymore. When i look at installed updates I only see this. When I attempt to fix the issue, I see these as issue and apply the fix through the wizard, which fails.

Any help for any of this is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jibberishballr

jibberishballr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:48 PM

Update:

Was able to fix the windows update issue (last screenshot) but still not able to directly access an option to find and check for Windows Updates.

Mostly need help on the boot up issue :)

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:09 PM

I'm assuming Windows 10 was clean installed on the HDD or SSD when the new motherboard was installed.

I'm not sure it would make a difference but I would disable Window's 10 hybrid fast startup and do a clean shutdown by opening a command prompt and typing

shutdown /s

Does the computer boot normally?

From all your diagnostics I would pull the Power cable from the case power switch to the motherboard and attempt to boot by shorting the two header pins. If it still requires two boots then pull everything from the case and breadboard the system using only one stick of RAM. Short the two pins to boot the computer. Perhaps you are dealing with some kind of case issue. That's the only ideas I have. Hopefully somebody can add their thoughts.

#4 jibberishballr

jibberishballr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:23 PM

Appreciate the input.

I have done a clean install on the SDD with the new MB. 

I'll disable fast startup.

I'm not experiencing another issue where after the second boot attempt the screen will go black and the PC stays on but no visual on the screen. After disconnecting power and trying a couple times, I am able to boot up again.

When checking my PC, one of my hard drives is now missing. More problems! When originally testing I tested with just the SSD and still had the boot problem. 

At this point I've narrowed it down to:

• Power shortage somewhere
  • Possibly another bad ram stick (not likely as testing one individually had no issues)
  • CPU or CPU cooler (I have a Corsair H60) and i7 4790k
  • Bad SSD (testing this now by installing a fresh install on another hard drive)

If anyone else has any other ideas, I'm all ears!

Edited by jibberishballr, 05 November 2017 - 12:32 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:54 PM

Just my 2 cents.....

PSU tests:  PSU Testing

Bad RAM stick - also run Prime95's Blend test.  It stresses RAM a bit differently from MemTest - and we sometimes find bad RAM will pass MemTest but fail Prime95

CPU/cooler - I've noted a lot of systems having problems also have the H60 - may be a coincidence, maybe not.  Make sure that you have the latest, W10 compatible version of the software for it installed.

I've suggested this stripdown procedure in the past.  Maybe it'll help you/give you some ideas:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 jibberishballr

jibberishballr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:18 PM

UPDATE!

Took it to the shop for diagnostics:

PS supply has no issues

Graphics card no issues

SSD no issues

Processor ran on test setups for hours under stress with no issues

Ram no issues (memtest passed all 4 sticks)

Mobo had a bent pin so I replaced it with another ASrock Z97 Pro4. Installed OS fresh again and I can use the computer.

HOWEVER, I still have the issue where every time i cold start the PC, it turns on (no power to usb mouse and keyboard) shuts down, and then boots into Windows with success. Not really sure what to do. Bios are up to date and my only other thought was something with voltage, but i have things set to auto. HWMonitor shows no high temps and PC runs cool Windows updates and drivers are all up to date.

Thoughts?

Edited by jibberishballr, 18 November 2017 - 12:23 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:05 PM

Way outta my league here!

I'd suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums for some more expert advice:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

Maybe in the Asus user forums also?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,862 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:28 PM

OP reposted in IH forum, https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/663274/pc-requires-at-least-one-extra-attempt-to-boot/ .

To prevent possible confusion, I am closing this Crashes/BSODs topic.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users