Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scam victim locked out

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Carter

Michael Carter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:25 PM

I have a neighbour (loosely defined - lives in the same small town) who persistently falls foul of telephone scammers. This time they have changed his user credentials so he can't log in. He is using Windows XP SP3.

I have a very old password reset CD which works a dream when people simply forget their password, but it is not working on this computer.

The easy fix would be to reformat and reinstall, but he has stuff (mostly Incredimail emails) which he doesn't want to lose. He never does any kind of backup.

I guess I could do a parallel Windows install and fiddle with Incredimail to make it work, but that will stuff up the boot file.

There is currently a dual boot to Linux, which still works, but Incredimail doesn't have a Linux version, so he insists on using Windows.

By way of history I built the computer (about seven years ago) so I feel obliged to help, but I am retired now and just want a quiet life.

Can anyone recommend a really quick and easy fix?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:10 AM

Can you access Safe Mode in XP by tapping F8? That should bring up the Administrator Account which has no password as default. Login to it and clear the users password. If that does not work then download Lazesoft's Windows Password Recovery Home which is free.

Burn the iso file and reset the password.

http://www.lazesoft.com/forgot-windows-admin-password-recovery-freeware.html

http://www.lazesoft.com/how-to-remove-windows-password.html

Edit: The above is for a user password reset. It will not work for a Syskey password. Is the below image what you see at startup?

start-up-password.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 November 2017 - 10:21 AM.

#3 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:52 AM

Thank you for your reply JohnC_21.

No I was not able to use F8 to get into safe mode. F8 brought up something more like subsequent versions of Windows, offering what it called system repair, and taking me to a command prompt.

The opening dialog box was more like the usual one, with the option to select a user name. Administrator did not work even after I used my password reset CD to change it to blank and later to admin.

I'll try your CD, which is probably more recent.

#4 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:13 PM

I've thought about this more over the weekend and weighing on my mind is that this is the latest in a whole series of scams to which this chap has fallen victim. The most recent but one was a scam where they rang to say they owed him $200 dollars, but they needed access to his computer and all his bank credentials in order to pay him. The computer seemed to be working after this, but my fear is that they installed a keylogger or something else nefarious.

So on reflection I think I shall boot into Linux to copy the Windows partition on to an external drive. I'll then reformat the internal drive and reinstall Windows and Linux, in that order. Then I'll retrieve what user data I can from the external copy.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:15 AM

I've thought about this more over the weekend and weighing on my mind is that this is the latest in a whole series of scams to which this chap has fallen victim. The most recent but one was a scam where they rang to say they owed him $200 dollars, but they needed access to his computer and all his bank credentials in order to pay him. The computer seemed to be working after this, but my fear is that they installed a keylogger or something else nefarious.

So on reflection I think I shall boot into Linux to copy the Windows partition on to an external drive. I'll then reformat the internal drive and reinstall Windows and Linux, in that order. Then I'll retrieve what user data I can from the external copy.

Good idea. I would zero wipe the drive before the install. You can do this with the bootable Partition Wizard 9.1 available here. Burn the iso to a CD.

If by saying you will reinstall Windows and Linux, do you mean this computer was originally dual boot? What distro was used?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users