Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome default search engine revert back to google after explicitly changing it.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hehathledger

hehathledger

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:25 PM

Hello, I'm having some trouble with Chrome browser. Each time I change the default search engine it reverts back to google after restarting. I've tried resetting all settings back to default and then setting the default search engine after just to make sure it wasn't another setting interfering with it and it still just reverts back to google after closing the browser. I've tried having a look in regedit to see if i could find a key where this setting is saved but no luck. Could anyone help me out with this? I want to use Chrome browser, but I don't want to use google search engine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:56 PM

What are you trying to change it to?

Also, exactly how are you going about it?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#3 hehathledger

hehathledger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:25 PM

Under settings > search engines > manage search engines - there it has "default search engines" and "other search engines" i've change default search engine to: 
Default:DuckDuckGo (Default)

Keyword: start.duckduckgo.com

Query url: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%s&atb=v89-1__

The settings work fine until I close my browser. after I re-open it like i said it reverts back to google as default search engine 

Default: Google (Default)

Keyword: google.com

Query url: {google:baseURL}search?q=%s&{google:RLZ}{google:originalQueryForSuggestion}{google:assistedQueryStats}{google:searchFieldtrialParameter}{google:iOSSearchLanguage}{google:searchClient}{google:sourceId}{google:instantExtendedEnabledParameter}{google:contextualSearchVersion}ie={inputEncoding}

I'm not sure what is causing it to revert back to google so I've tried reseting chrome to default settings before making any changes to try and see if there was another setting that was causing this. even withe everything else set to default (cookies etc) it still reverts back to google as default search engine. Not sure what else to do here, I'm thinking I could modify a registry key but I can't find what I'm looking for after looking in registry. any ideas?

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:00 PM

What OS is this?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,354 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:40 PM

I have always had the best luck by installing the DuckDuckGo Extension to do this.  See the link on https://duck.co/help/desktop/chrome

Also, there are other techniques, but getting DuckDuckGo set as the permanent default is sometimes tricky.  See:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=set+duckduckgo+as+default+search+engine+chrome&t=hf&atb=v33-7__&ia=web

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:43 PM

Just as an experiment I made DuckDudkGo the default search engine in my Chrome web browser and it staid through several restarts.

I am running Windows 10 and Chrome 61.0.3163.100.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 hehathledger

hehathledger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:57 AM

@Rocky Bennett Im using Win 8.1 Pro

@britechguy I don't want to use a plugin for search to be honest i'd rather get this working as intended

alright so, still having this issue but i've made some progress and bumped into another wall. The settings for the default browser seem to be stored in a file called "secure preferences" located C:\users\"me"\appdata\local\google\chrome\user data\default

I founds this by trying to delete all Chrome files I could find after uninstalling using add/remove programs and afterwards there were still some files left here. all of them i was able to delete except this pesky secure preferences file. now the problem I am having is that even after taking ownership with my administrator account I am unable to delete or modify this file. I keep getting "File Access Denied" it's a real bugger. Can anyone help me? I tried using icacls from cmd prompt but im not very familiar with using it. I thought I could change the file access from there because trying to do it from rightclick > properties >security and changing ownership didn't seem to work. even after disabling inheritance and removing the user that owned the file and made the new owner administrator im still getting file access denied. After re-installing Chrome I'm still getting the same behaviour seeing as this file seems to store a bunch of settings including the default search engine. 

#8 hehathledger

hehathledger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:38 AM

I was able to successfully delete the file by booting into safe mode. no file access denied prompts. was feeling good until i re-installed chrome only to be back at square one with the issue of chrome defaulting back to google as the default search engine after explicitly changing it and removing google as a option all together. I think i'll just stick to using another browser for now, I've already spent too much time trying to get this work and it's just not worth it seems. If anyone does find a fix for this please let me know!

Edited by hehathledger, 03 November 2017 - 09:39 AM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,354 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:57 AM

The plug-in simply sets things up for you so that there are multiple ways you can access DuckDuckGo.

I would give that a try, as you're just spinning your wheels at this point and installing via the plug-in might just work.   If this is about getting DuckDuckGo as your search engine I don't know why you're resisting it.  It's how I got DuckDuckGo integrated into Chrome and it is selected as my default search engine as well as being set as the search engine to use in the address bar.

As another possibility, and this is pure speculation on my part, are you using any sort of third-party "system protection" software that looks for file changes in the Program Files and/or AppData folders for currently installed software and either blocks or reverses them?   I have seen these sorts of utilities drive people mad because they keep undoing changes and people forget they've got them in because they're pretty much invisible otherwise.

Edited by britechguy, 03 November 2017 - 10:01 AM.
Addendum about system protection utils

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users