Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lan Testing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jimbo435

jimbo435

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:56 PM

We have a small business network.  Currently using DSL for internet and getting abysmal quality.  Good news!  AT&T has installed fiber to my landlord's telephone room. 100MB+ service is only about 500 feet away!

Only issue is we only have "voice copper" between us and there.

My landlord's contractor has said there is nothing we can do.  They say the copper won't handle data.

I am not willing to give up.

So after some research, I purchased a pair of EoC (Ethernet over Copper) extenders that setup a VDSL (very high bit data subscriber line) between two adapters:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BOD8C9W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm no dummy, but no expert either, but it seems like I am basically setting up my own 500 foot DSL service.

I think I need to convince them this will work in order to get their permission to connect fiber service.

So my plan is to connect these across an unused copper line, and test the LAN back to my facility sort of as a proof of concept.

My argument is that if I can get good speed back to my LAN, I can connect to fiber, reverse the VDSL, and use it to cennect my facility fiber in their telephone room.

What's the best way to test the LAN to prove it will be able to handle all of my internet traffic?

Some ideas I had:

Ping some computers on the LAN?

Speedtest across the VDSL and compare to Speedtest connected directly to the LAN?

Or simply stream some video (multiple feeds?) off of a computer connected to the LAN?

Keep in mind that my DSL internet service is spotty at best.

My test computer will most likely be a Macbook Pro running El Capitan. (built in ethernet jack)

The rest of computers here are all Macs.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:49 PM

How is the fiber connection being distributed?  In other words, what is AT&T terminating the fiber into what equipment.

You need a lan network connection off that equipment.

Then you do your extension lan to your location.

That connection has to exit the copper , go out the lan port to your router.

Router has all of the mac connections.

This assumes AT&T is giving you a wan ip address for your router at which point you have your local lan and internet connection.

To test do a online broadband test and see what your down/up rates are

Your present dsl connection/lan configuration would not be a part of this setup.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sneakycyber