Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Non-gaming build

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dsteeley

dsteeley

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:36 PM

Hi all, I am based in the uk and do not game.   I am still using my very old Dell Dimension 5150 still on XP (yes, I know).  I also have a Toshiba W10 Laptop. 

I'd like to try and build my own desktop and have selected the linked parts from Part Picker UK.  As I have said, I do not game.  I have chosen a CPU with on-board graphics as I don't think I need a graphics card.  I like to surf the internet, stream a few videos, email, MS office, YouTube etc and watch DVDs.   All, I believe, low level tasks not requiring  a powerful CPU such as an i5.

I think this set up will work ok and will do what I need it to do.  I will add a HDD later if I need the storage space.

Perhaps someone could have a look and advise me if there is a better part I should consider for similar cost.

Thanks for looking

Dave

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/jMBqTH

Edited by dsteeley, 01 November 2017 - 01:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:42 PM

The system looks solid and should be a massive improvement over your current machines.  You will probably need to get some software for DVD playback.  You can use VLC for a free option or find a pay option.  The only possible improvement might be a Bluray drive, but only you will know if it is worth the upgrade.

#3 dsteeley

dsteeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:52 PM

Thanks for the advice Kilroy.

Dave

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,096 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:56 PM

Different version: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/nPckVY

I changed to AMD because LGA1151 is already replaced with LGA1151 v2 and so finding compatible motherboard can be problematic. Also AMD GPU drivers are years ahead Intel. AMD also offers much better upgrade path.

I also switched to M.2 SSD and different PSU. Windows is not OEM but retail.

#5 dsteeley

dsteeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:51 PM

Hi Drillingmachine, thanks for your feedback.  Your spec looks very interesting and I will investigate it further.

"I changed to AMD because LGA1151 is already replaced with LGA1151 v2 and so finding compatible motherboard can be problematic." 

Do you think then that the Intel G4600 3.6 (Kaby Lake) CPU may not be compatible with the Gigabyte-GA-H270-HD3-ATX-LGA1151 Motherboard?

I am hoping to buy some/all components around the upcoming "Black Friday" deals.

cheers

Dave

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,096 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:44 AM

It is compatible but because LGA1151 is already nearing EOL, finding replacement motherboard in the future may be problematic. Just look how hard it is to find LGA1155 motherboard but how easy it is to find AM3+ motherboard. Both released 2011.

#7 dsteeley

dsteeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:07 PM

See what you mean, Drillingmachine.

Thanks

Dave

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:18 PM

Unless you're planning on replacing the board after the warranty expires the LGA1151 should be fine.  Myself, I never change out a motherboard or CPU, if I'm going to do either a new computer is probably the better option.

#9 dsteeley

dsteeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for the feedback Kilroy.

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users