Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is mac os better than windows os?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Genex17

Genex17

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:40 PM

Yes, I already know backup software is standard on other systems. I'm not sure what your point is.

Edited by Genex17, 04 January 2018 - 03:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:12 PM

One  of the worst purchases I ever made in my life was investing in an Imac - I have had nothing but trouble with it - the Hard Drive had to be replaced when it was just slightly over one year old and Apple will not allow me to update my OS  https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-osx     which means I can't update Firefox.  

APPLE is totally impossible to deal with and I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

There isn't space here to outline all the trouble I've had but trust me don't go there.

Edited by JayJax, 04 March 2018 - 10:14 PM.

#33 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:52 AM

I have used an iMac for several years now, and haven't had any problems with it. There's no one specific answer to the question "Is macOS better than Windows". Everyone has their own personal preference of which OS they like better. I also own a Windows 10 desktop, and it has worked fine for me as well. Both macOS and Windows are good operating systems, it's just whichever one you like better.
Regards, iMacg3

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

#34 Jazzgirl

Jazzgirl

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:12 PM

A site I've always liked, some comparisons for the OP to check-

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001238.htm

Also, though I hesitate to post it (no biggie really) a site I've been active on the past few years has a thread about recent Win. 10 difficulties, some members there are also active here-

http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/topic/100572-win10-os-1709-upgrade-came-out/?tab=comments#comment-346701

Personal note: when my last XP computer suffered a grisly hardware death, been using an iPad since, until (here comes Christmas) we get a Mac. Or maybe just a newer iPad in the interim since this old version 5.1.1's Safari is eating cyber dust with the evolvement of many websites.

As mentioned, Linux is a great alternative, and some from the latter site I posted are knowledgable users of it. I haven't, maybe someday.

I quit using Windows when a laptop I had got an update and it bit the dust. I was so tired of fighting with Windows I dumped it and bought a desktop and a laptop. I already had an iPad which I really liked so decided to switch. I got so tired of updates in Windows destroying my computers. I used to build my own so I'm no novice but I am not fighting Windows anymore.

#35 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,616 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:28 PM

Well that is where linux will come in handy.

Its actually easier to get linux running on a custom PC than it is on a standard PC or a Mac for that matter.

Its because the hardware is yours not by some OEM somewhere who dictates what goes on your machine.

Plus linux is very good at hardware detection these days, a good chunk iof the hardware that windows runs linux can run too.

Heck i dare say linux is better at hardware detection at times, unless its some obscure piece of hardware linux really can get it running.

The only drawback is GPU's but at this time its typically better to use Nvidia than AMD as nvidia proprietary drivers work better anyhow even under linux.

Granted when new hardware comes out for both of them linux is always a little behind in the driver department but there is nothing wrong with using some older parts for a bit.

Unless you are really into cutting edge hardware or old hardware from the stone age linux usually does very well.

Edited by MadmanRB, 10 March 2018 - 07:32 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#36 nicholasbrown

nicholasbrown

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:10 AM

Mac is easier to navigate than Windows. But for compatibility of apps and software, Windows is far better. 

#37 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,616 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 11:33 AM

Mac is easier to navigate than Windows. 

This here is very subjective.

Indeed if you have used OSX for a long time then tried windows out this would be true

But for most the opposite is the case.

Most of us have used windows first will gravitate to its UI as we are so familiar with it.

Not saying I personally hate the user interface in OSX, i have used it now and then and there are some things I like about it and some things i dont:

What I like:

The dock

The global menu

The system settings panel

The file search

What I dont like:

It is not obvious to the first time user where programs are located, by instinct for a windows user they will gravitate to the apple logo but find its only there to log you out or shut down the machine

Indeed if you did not stumble into finder and saw the applications section you would be totally lost.

Also window controls being on the left side does take a lot getting used to for some users, I dont have an issue with it but if you never used a mac before you would be wondering what is up with the colored buttons

If its one thing that makes me mad about OSX (well other than the fact to use it you need to buy a overpriced piece of garbage you cant upgrade to use it) is that the close button is counter intuitive, if you have a lot of programs running you close one off to help solve a performance issue but find it did nothing.

Nope open up the task manager and close it off manually.

Ugh, I know this was meant to make programs open faster but at the same time it hogs up ram and slows the machine down.

For as many issues windows has at least they can be remedied with some know how and that included system slowdown

OSX? not quite as obvious, I mean Macs can run great I know but I have seen people complain about it and I have had personal experience with some of the issues OSX has.

Edited by MadmanRB, 15 March 2018 - 11:34 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#38 KennethCoblentz

KennethCoblentz

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:36 PM

I have used both the systems and I feel both the operating systems have their advantages and disadvantages. The only difference I feel while using them is that Mac systems provide more safety and a cleaner look to the overall usage. While in windows customisation is easy. Both can run all the software available but I personally feel that it's a bit faster on Mac. Mac systems are not cheap but we can get windows systems at very affordable prices. This question is a never-ending topic because both are top botch companies trying to outdo each other every year. It only depends on the user's choice which one he/she wants to go with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users