Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is mac os better than windows os?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:50 PM

Chris Cosgrove, good point about hardware upgrades, though what little I've read, Apples can be upgraded to a point, though more expensive.
My only microcosmic (if you will) experience with Macs are those aforementioned family and friends whose machines, in their words, simply work without problems (ie. BSOD's, cranky Windows bugs, flawed updates, constant security considerations and maintenance...) and to add: Linux no doubt falls in that same category. The site I posted earlier also shows Linux/Windows comparisons-

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000575.htm

BTW, TrunksV7 started another thread after this and is receiving the expert help that this site provides.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/661909/is-it-dangerous-to-post-your-specs-with-speccy-on-a-thread/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 TrunksV17

TrunksV17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:53 AM

Chris Cosgrove, good point about hardware upgrades, though what little I've read, Apples can be upgraded to a point, though more expensive.
My only microcosmic (if you will) experience with Macs are those aforementioned family and friends whose machines, in their words, simply work without problems (ie. BSOD's, cranky Windows bugs, flawed updates, constant security considerations and maintenance...) and to add: Linux no doubt falls in that same category. The site I posted earlier also shows Linux/Windows comparisons-

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000575.htm

BTW, TrunksV7 started another thread after this and is receiving the expert help that this site provides.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/661909/is-it-dangerous-to-post-your-specs-with-speccy-on-a-thread/

I inted to learn a lot and am very thankful for all the help ive been receiving. right now i am in the works of dl Linux cinammon mint 64 bit. ive never had to boot from a dvd, ive read its easier to boot from a dvd although i wanted to and thought it was easier with a usb. :/ and its something new im learning and surely about to get into but first i have to learn how to do this part. its a little bit of work i have to do.

#18 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:02 PM

Booting from DVD or USB is a six or two threes situation, as much as anything else it is a matter of personal preference - they both work and possibly the USB method is quicker but that's about it.

If you are a computer 'user' rather than SysAdmin then running a distro like Mint is very little different from running Windows or MacOS (which in its essentials is a form of Linux). I agree, if it is your own computer automatically you are the SysAdmin but once you have it set up you are good to go. Installing software - applications - in Mint is a doddle if what you want is in the Mint repositories, if it isn't it is a little harder than the same operation in Windows but by no means impossible even for a relative beginner like myself. I have to look up the syntax for terminal commands every time if I can't copy/paste them.

And updating Mint is also much more reliable and generally less long winded than Windows updates. click the 'Update' icon on the taskbar, enter your password, click 'Install updates', then at worst go and make yourself a cup of coffee or pour a beer. They will be done by the time you get back. Further, you have full control over which updates you install and they come with safety ratings and warnings !

Chris Cosgrove

#19 TrunksV17

TrunksV17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:28 PM

Booting from DVD or USB is a six or two threes situation

I have to look up the syntax for terminal commands every time if I can't copy/paste them.

Chris Cosgrove

Hey, what do you mean when you say USB is a six or two threes situation? also looking up the syntax for terminal commands everytime if you cant copy/paste them, what does that mean?

Distros, what are those?

Sorry for all these beginners questions man, I am a complete novice to Linux and I don't know a whole bunch of stuff some might call standard things on computers, I'm here to learn a lot on computers and Linux so please help me out, I'm here to stay for a loooooong time I am hoping.

Thanks 

#20 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:59 PM

Distro is short for distributions.

Unlike windows or mac OS there is no one size fits all approach in linux.

Pretty much every distro (sometimes called a flavor) offers something to the end user.

Except justin bieber linux, we dont talk about Justin Bieber linux... uuuuuh.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#21 ChirunoIceFairy

ChirunoIceFairy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:16 AM

Terminal commands have a specific syntax to use them. Usually using the manpages or some sort of help command in the command line program usually helps, like this:

man apt-get

would be the package manager's manual page, which is what you'd type in the terminal to get.

Usually typing "[program name] -h" or something like that - usually the program will tell you what the help command is if you type the name - would bring up syntax guides and operations you can use on the command. :)

As for the question discussed in the topic title, it really is about what suits your needs rather than one being better than the other. If you need good, official multimedia applications (and generally better designed and sleek programs), good direct support (Apple Stores) etc. MacOS might be better - while Windows has the advantage of running on anything and has most support for software and community wise. You can also use Bootcamp to use Windows on a Mac.

Edited by ChirunoIceFairy, 07 November 2017 - 08:19 AM.

#22 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,699 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:11 PM

Sorry if I confused the issue with a British colloquialism "six and two threes".  6 = 6, 2 x 3 = 6. It is a way of saying that there is no effective difference, both do exactly the same job just using different techniques. If possible I prefer to use a CD or DVD since I have plenty of them, they are cheap and I cannot re-write them. USBs are necessary if the computer you are installing on has no optical drive but are just too easy to re-use for somethng different. So the next time you reach for that installer you discover it now has the photos from Auntie Mary's 70th birthday party instead.

As for 'distros', in #15 I wrote -

there is a wide variety of Linux distributions (distros) and users tend to find they favour one over another.

I felt that that made the expression clear and since it is the common, and shorter, term I used it after that.

As for installing software, at the moment there are some 8000+ packages in the Linux Mint repository, these install after clicking a couple of buttons and entering your password. There is much other software which is not in the Mint repository which is perfectly safe to use but does not install automatically.

As an example of this, I have just installed Wire on a Linux desktop. Not only do Wire produce the software they also have an guide sheet of instructions for its installation. All I had to do was copy/paste the instructions one at a time into the terminal and after about five minutes the installation was up and running. See this page for what I mean -

https://github.com/wireapp/wire-desktop/wiki/How-to-install-Wire-for-Desktop-on-Linux

If you do decide to give Linux a try you can always head over to the Linux section here on BC. The members there are (1) helpful, and (2) friendly.

Chris Cosgrove

#23 ChirunoIceFairy

ChirunoIceFairy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:29 AM

Mint and Solus particularly have good communities especially compared to the elitist nature of some Linux communities in my experience.

#24 dj-lau

dj-lau

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:58 AM

I bought myself a new Macbook recently. Even I am trying to get used to Mac, I like it more than Win.

#25 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:04 PM

I bought myself a new Macbook recently. Even I am trying to get used to Mac, I like it more than Win.

So enjoy only having a limited piece of hardware that is overpriced and will be obsolete in a year?

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#26 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:46 PM

With due respect, should a new member's third post here have such an opinionated response from a longer term member denigrating the OS/computer choice they made and seem happy with?

To turn the coin, my sister used Win. XP for years, always had some problem going on, be it hardware or software. Dumped the thing (on me which I used as a backup) and purchased a Mac (more bucks than that HP) and if you might be of age to remember those old Maytag repairman appliance commercials on TV, that's how it's been for her in the subsequent years. It's been doing all she needs, and keeps on going.

Edit/add: Another comparison, article not dated but the Mac screen shows Sierra which was released Sept. 2016. Site seems unbiased.

https://www.techbout.com/mac-vs-pc-comparison-27548/

Edited by r.a.d., 28 November 2017 - 07:59 PM.

#27 AnasDilshad

AnasDilshad

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:31 AM

There is always be a great battle between them. But i think user awareness is now towards going to the macOS because its the complete and heavy machine and its ability to do more and efficient tasks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users