Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is mac os better than windows os?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 TrunksV17

TrunksV17

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:17 AM

i've always heard that mac is a lot better than windows due to its security, is this true?

how else is mac better than windows? all thoughts are welcomed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:10 PM

Is Chevy better than Ford? I've used both systems and I prefer the Mac, mainly for the ease of use and less of a target for the neer-do-wells. 

Edited by Twin B, 01 November 2017 - 08:31 PM.

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#3 TrunksV17

TrunksV17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:08 PM

and less of a target for the neer-do-wells. 

thanks for the reply, what do you mean by this statement??  :huh:

#4 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:04 PM

From a security standpoint, a short article (also shows Linux & android in the graph)-

https://www.itgovernance.co.uk/blog/is-os-x-more-secure-than-windows/

A reality I see are sites such as this where posts about infected computers are predominately Window's machines. Some family members and friends have used Macs for years without loss of productivity (think office stuff, photo editing, etc.) as there are similar products for both Windows and Macs.

Years back, some price comparisons would show that they generally equalled out after long term use, but don't know if the same is the case today.

Edit/add:
Quick elaboration on what I said about infected computer sites, Window posts seem to far exceed the 90% vs. Mac's 10% of usage, coupled by the Mac users I know never using virus or malware programs, though many security sites now recommend they do so.

Oh, and ne'er-do-wells actually means lazy, worthless people, but the intended context mentioned here was probably to describe crooks. 

Edited by r.a.d., 02 November 2017 - 01:18 PM.

#5 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:01 PM

IMO, When more people use it more people have access to it and more people know of its loopholes.

Mac is used by less number of people so you may be safe in comparison to windows.

But in using a system, how securely you are using is the main point, than how much will the system have security.

Though recently the secure rates of Mac's have gone down.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:19 PM

Mac OSX on a surface level is indeed better than windows.

It doesnt share many of the security issues or flubs as windows though its common logic that no operating system is bulletproof.

But personally i say to heck with OSX when linux exists, Macs are overpriced non up-gradable pieces of crap.

Hardware wise Macs are a waste of time.

I say if you are really concerned with security I would try linux out, plenty of linux flavors out there that are catered to windows users like linux mint which is free to try and install if you want it.

I will never ever buy a mac, overpriced garbage.

https://linuxmint.com/

Edited by MadmanRB, 02 November 2017 - 10:21 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#7 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:09 PM

Mac OSX on a surface level is indeed better than windows.

It doesnt share many of the security issues or flubs as windows though its common logic that no operating system is bulletproof.

But personally i say to heck with OSX when linux exists, Macs are overpriced non up-gradable pieces of crap.

Hardware wise Macs are a waste of time.

I say if you are really concerned with security I would try linux out, plenty of linux flavors out there that are catered to windows users like linux mint which is free to try and install if you want it.

I will never ever buy a mac, overpriced garbage.

Exactly my feelings in an uncensored way MadmanRB :P

I am not exactly comfortable with Linux though as my primary computer's operating system; perhaps I did not use it long enough properly on my laptop (this might be the main reason even). 
Once I get my second laptop or system I will definitely go for it.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,985 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:31 AM

Well thats why dualbooting is a good idea, no one has to replace MacOS or Windows with linux.

I dont know what was the last time you used linux but I feel it has come a long way.

Even if the last time you used it was yesterday its still growing and getting better each day.

MacOS has become stagnate, and windows can be just as bad as many say linux is.

If you installed windows fresh and compared it to linux then you would see how great linux really is.

Linux only looks bad if you used it for a short time and never installed windows fresh.

Edited by MadmanRB, 03 November 2017 - 04:33 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#9 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:18 PM

A site I've always liked, some comparisons for the OP to check-

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001238.htm

Also, though I hesitate to post it (no biggie really) a site I've been active on the past few years has a thread about recent Win. 10 difficulties, some members there are also active here-

http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/topic/100572-win10-os-1709-upgrade-came-out/?tab=comments#comment-346701

Personal note: when my last XP computer suffered a grisly hardware death, been using an iPad since, until (here comes Christmas) we get a Mac. Or maybe just a newer iPad in the interim since this old version 5.1.1's Safari is eating cyber dust with the evolvement of many websites.

As mentioned, Linux is a great alternative, and some from the latter site I posted are knowledgable users of it. I haven't, maybe someday.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,985 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:21 PM

Enjoy having a computer you cant upgrade r.a.d.

I mean why have the ability to upgrade stuff like ram when you can solder that stuff in place?

The apple of today is nothing like the apple of old.

Steve Jobs is spinning in his grave i imagine.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#11 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:54 PM

MadmanRB, won't get into it with you, posting for the OP's consideration without personal preferences. Simple as pie.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,985 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:57 PM

That is fine enough I mean if anybody bought a Mac that is their decision however I think it's a very stupid one especially in the wake of how things are over at Apple who is basically abandoning the desktop workspace for the phone workspace and I actually think within a few years there's going to be no such thing as a Apple computer it's really dying out.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#13 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:04 PM

Before shelling out some bucks, I do research things and will do so thoroughly when the time comes. :)

#14 TrunksV17

TrunksV17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:45 PM

im saving up my money for a new laptop which will be used for everything like surfing the web, doing some online business, basically the normal things but now since i am actually taking the time to learn about operating systems, i am think about giving linux a try. i agree with mac being so high in price, why buy a laptop that is so overpriced? same thing with the iphone x, holy hell $1000, id never go and buy myself that phone.

is it a good idea to buy myself a good price ranged laptop (not mac) just a good brand name laptop with linux os installed and all its security programs?

P.S - thanks for the links r.a.d, i will surely look into them :thumbup2:

#15 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:07 PM

~90% of the world's PCs run windows; ~10% run MacOS; ~1% run Linux in one form or another.

That 90% is the biggest reason why Windows is such a target for malware and scams, the potential payoff is between 9 and 99 times better for the same amount of effort in writing malware. On the positive side, the informed database of Windows users is bigger by the same margins.

All three OS are capable of doing the same work if sometimes in slightly different ways. In general Apple computers cost more for the same capability as Windows computers. I have no intention of getting into a debate as to which is better built - all are built with components made by the lowest bidder !  There are very few laptops available with any form of Linux pre-installed. One reason for this is that there is a wide variety of Linux distributions (distros) and users tend to find they favour one over another.

The point was made, above, that Apple computers are between hard and impossible to upgrade but you have to ask if this is terribly important. Basically all you can do to upgrade a Windows laptop is increase the amount of RAM and fit a larger or faster hard drive, and if it is well specced in the first place to meet your needs this is unlikely to be necessary.

If you wish to seriously consider the use of Linux then probably your best bet would be to buy a mid-range Windows laptop - 64 bit OS, 4 - 8 GB Ram and a 1TB HDD. This would allow you to dual boot if you wished to try it that way. Virtually any Linux distro would fly with that much RAM.

Should you wish to try different forms of Linux before coming to a final decision most distros can be run, if somewhat more slowly, from a USB without any need to install on the computer.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users