Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP 11 laptop Bricked after attempt to upgrade windows 10 using flash drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mistajrock

mistajrock

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:41 AM

Thanks for looking and any assistance.

I have got 2 identical laptops.  They are HP 11-010nr.
The hard drive space is limited... so limited that there is not even space to run major updates in windows 10.  So, I have successfully (in the past, on different computers) used a flash drive for space and installed the updates with one.

This time, I ran the upgrade, added the external drives, and then cleared enough space on C: to do the major update... It downloaded, updated, but on one of the reboots, it reports that the media is not available(flash drive.)  

So, I am not sure what else i can do. 
I have tried the following:
Adjusting BIOS settings - legacy boot, etc.
system restore - nothing available - 
restore previous build - I get to this by booting to W10 bootable install flash drive.
startup repair
manual startup repair using command prompt.

I'm at my wits end and hate to have to reload these 2 machines.
any advice is appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:17 AM

If the machines have drives that are too small to do typical major updates to Windows 10 then the first order of business would be to upgrade your drives so that all the gyrations you're having to go through become unnecessary.

These things started out life as netbooks, and the hardware was mostly shipped out as Chromebooks.   The stats I can find on the HP website show a 32 GB eMMC, making these devices quite unsuited for Windows 10 with the drives they came with.

For myself, unless finances absolutely preclude it, I would strongly consider ditching this hardware and investing in a couple of new, low end laptops that are built with the idea of running Windows 10 as their OS from the outset.  No matter what you do with your existing hardware you will continue, over time, running into obstacle after obstacle after obstacle in maintaining them as Windows 10 machines.   Getting something designed with Windows 10 in mind is a far better investment of your money, and your effort, than perpetually trying to fit the proverbial square peg in a round hole.

Edited by britechguy, 01 November 2017 - 10:18 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users