Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help with smart attributes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hlpmeplz

hlpmeplz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:04 AM

Hello everyone, I am a bit of a "newbie" when it comes to this sort of stuff and and seeking some help.

My new Refurbished desktop tower came in today. I put all my standard programs on it including diskcheck and speedfan. Well I ran the SMART on both of the programs and something make me curious on the speedfan online analysis. The bar next to the attributes were green/full value in all categories but 3.
Spin up time - value 132, bar was in the red.
Power on hours count - value 31, bar was all the way red.
Write head - value 35, bar was all the way red

It also said the overall fitness and performance of the drive were both 90%.

I ran a standard and the full scan on the diskcheck. Everything came back OK and no errors found.

The HDD is a WD 250gb. I am confused by what the 3 tributes in the red mean. My main concern is the write head and spin up time. Is the smart telling me that the write head is old/bad/on its way to failing? If someone can clear this up it would be appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:18 AM

S.M.A.R.T. is not standardized between manufacturers, so some diagnostic utilities can give anomalous reports. I'd suggest using Western Digital's own diagnostic utility to see what it says about the drive:

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:51 PM

the big question is:  who refurbished this computer?  and is it under warranty?

anyone can say they refurbished a computer. but unless you bought it from a brand name manufacturer then I wouldn't believe that it truley was a refurbished unit.

joe blow of the street will fix it and make sure it boots and call it a refurbished unit. as is no warranty.

dell will take it and do factory test and verify every piece of equipment meets "NEW" standards and then label it as a refurbished unit then resell it with an warranty.

#4 hlpmeplz

hlpmeplz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:04 PM

Platypus, thanks for the link. It basically gave me the same numbers and OK as the other Smart check.

Mightywiz, the tower came from newegg. Microsoft authorized refurb with a 1 year warranty.

I was just curious why the write head, power on time and spin up time would be that low. I am curious if those numbers mean a short HDD life.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,280 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:32 PM

Well good news is that you could just replace your hard disk, its not that hard and with windows 10 once its registered on your machine it can be installed again.

Just make sour you got a windows reinstall media of some kind, luckily you can do it on your own for real cheap like buy a thumb drive like this one:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178287

Cheap and good for a windows usb reinstall disk.

You just need to download a windows iso which Microsoft actually provides:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

and this is how you make your own windows install usb:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-bootable-media-uefi-support

You dont need to know your key but do make sure to write it down just in case.

Edited by MadmanRB, 02 November 2017 - 10:33 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,477 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:53 PM

If the WD diagnostic gives an OK, that should mean the predictive parameters don't show any suggestion of a deteriorated drive.

Since you've only given a single value for each attribute, it doesn't really tell us much. If you supply attribute # (presumably 3, 9 & ?) with current, worst, threshold and raw value where it exists, we could get a better idea.

#7 hlpmeplz

hlpmeplz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:20 AM

Platypus, the lines for the 3 attributes I listed above are as followed using the WD smart link you provided.

Value  Threshold  Worst

spin up time -       132      21             132

poweronhours -    31       0                31

Write head was only listed on the online analysis for the speedfan smart check. It only said current value 35.

Out of curiosity I have tried several more programs and they all give me the same thing. Judging by the various SMART tests, I would say I am in the clear.

I know this isn't an absolute sign of imminent failure(I think?) but my last night, the HDD has gotten louder, I have listened to a bunch of bad/failed/dead HDD audio clips. It doesn't "ping" or "clink" or have a metallic grinding noise. Just a constant very audible whirr(or If you can imagine like a background static noise, just something very audible,some of it has to be from the fans) then a quick little noise I cannot describe. Not the HDD death noises I have heard but just every couple of seconds I hear it for about 1-5 or so seconds. The new louder noises has me curious now. I guess the write head or bearings are noisy?

Oh, thanks in advance for the help and advice.

Edited by hlpmeplz, 03 November 2017 - 07:23 AM.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,477 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:02 AM

Judging by the various SMART tests, I would say I am in the clear.

I'd agree. The head parameter isn't significant, it's not normally included as a WD diagnostic. The other two are fine. Spinup time is consistent, even though we don't know an actual default value - it is quite likely to be 132. If it changed noticeably, that would be a concern. A faulty spinup will record a lower number, and WD has determined a value of 21 would indicate imminent failure.

If there isn't a raw value reported for power on, which would give time powered up, then the same principle applies. When the design MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) was reached, the Value and Worst parameters would both reach zero, as zero is designated the threshold for that parameter. Due to the nature of MTBF in electronics, that would not necessarily indicate an imminent failure, just a high statistical likelihood.

Just a constant very audible whirr(or If you can imagine like a background static noise, just something very audible,some of it has to be from the fans) then a quick little noise I cannot describe.

I suspect you're hearing the normal spin motor noise, and the periodic head park sound - hard drives park the head actuator after a period of inactivity, to lessen the chance of a head strike from sudden movement occurring when the heads are over the data area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users