Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 repeated update message

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Pam630

Pam630

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:54 AM

Hello All!

I have a weird thing happening. On sign off I have the windows updates that happen. Even though I have updated manually, It still tries to update the same 9 updates.

What could be the problem? 

I have Windows 7 Home Premium Installed.

TYIA,

Pam630

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:45 AM

My first guess would be that they did not completely install. Next time you logon run windows update again and see if there are any updates available. if so let them download and install. when they are fin ished do a warn reboot. this will allow any processes that didn't complete to finish their work.

When you shut down the next time there shouldn't be any updates trying to complete their processing.

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:10 AM

Well...if the updates are reflected as installed...when you go to Windows Update and look at the update history...then they are installed.  But Windows Update history will reflect both successes and faiilures, with each noted as either failures or successes.  As Dicke stated, you could be assuming that they were installed when, in fact, they failed to install.

I've had that happen.

Louis

#4 Pam630

Pam630
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:03 PM

My first guess would be that they did not completely install. Next time you logon run windows update again and see if there are any updates available. if so let them download and install. when they are fin ished do a warn reboot. this will allow any processes that didn't complete to finish their work.

When you shut down the next time there shouldn't be any updates trying to complete their processing.

Hi dicke,

What Is a "warn reboot." Can you give me step by step Instructions? I've never heard of it.

TYIA,

Pam630

#5 Pam630

Pam630
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:11 PM

Well...if the updates are reflected as installed...when you go to Windows Update and look at the update history...then they are installed.  But Windows Update history will reflect both successes and faiilures, with each noted as either failures or successes.  As Dicke stated, you could be assuming that they were installed when, in fact, they failed to install.

I've had that happen.

Louis

Hi Louis,

Thank you for your reply.

I update Windows manually & then check the updates. It always says It's successful. I can reboot but when I go to shut down It has that little yellow Icon on the shut down button for updates again. These are Security updates for Windows 7- x64-based system.

Thank you,

Pam630 

Edited by Pam630, 01 November 2017 - 08:11 PM.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:52 PM

Warm reboot:

Click on the icon in the lower left hand of the screen [usually the windows logo]

For W 10 The selection screen appears and in a column on the left edge are at least 3 icons

The first is the power icon, the second is the settings, the third is the file explorer

if you left click on the power icon a small window will open with three choices - reboot, shut down, and sleep

if you click on reboot this will be a warm boot / reboot

if you click on shut down it will turn the computer off when you restart it will be a cold boot

if you click on sleep it will turn most of the computer off but bring everything back quickly when you press the ENTER key

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#7 Pam630

Pam630
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:32 PM

hello all,

Pardon any typos as ive had Carpal Tunnel surgery this morning on my left hand. Did the reboot and the windows update icon is still on the shut down button. 

Dont know what it could be. :inlove:  Still thinking what I could do when both hands are working.

Pam630

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users