Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd-rom

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 larry52

larry52

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:27 AM

is there a way that i shut off my cd-rom player it was working then its not after a few days i tryed to play it its not working i though maybe i shut it off doing other things please help ty larry :thumbsup:

(Moderator edit: added temporary topic description. jgweed)
Mod Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 22 September 2006 - 04:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 22 September 2006 - 12:10 PM

It would help to understand what you mean by "is not working." Does it show as a drive in My Computer? When you put in a disk, do you hear any sound of movement? Do you get any sort of error message, and if so, what does it say exactly?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 larry52

larry52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 05:29 PM

is there a way that i shut off my cd-rom player it was working then its not after a few days i tryed to play it its not working i though maybe i shut it off doing other things please help ty larry :thumbsup:

(Moderator edit: added temporary topic description. jgweed)
Mod Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

the screen shows no error also makes no sound and nothing on drive comes up :flowers:

#4 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:05 PM

If the drive went from working to now doing absolutley nothing, the problem is one of two thing-the IDE cable or the CD-ROM drive. If you have a spareIDE cable, replace the one currently connected to the cd-rom drive. If that doesn't solve the problem, then the cd-rom drive is likely dead. Computer hardware can die very suddenly.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 23 September 2006 - 08:35 AM

Go to Start...Run...and type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. See if you can see the drive there and let us know what it says about it.

You can also go to Start...Run...and type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Then click on the Hardware tab, then on the Device Manager button. In the next window, click the + sign next to "DVD/CD-ROM drives". Then, right click on your CD drive and select "Uninstall". Click OK to exit all the dialogs, then reboot your system and let Windows redetect the drive. Also, please let us know if there were any red x's or yellow !'s in the Device Manager window.

Finally, what I find to be the easiest solution is to buy another CD drive (ensuring that you can return it if it doesn't work). They're cheap and easy to install. That way, if it is a drive failure, you're ahead of the game - and if it isn't a drive failure, you're able to rule out the current drive and it won't cost you.

Edited by usasma, 23 September 2006 - 08:41 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 larry52

larry52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:40 AM

john thanks for the helpbut nothing worked.there were no red or yellow + signs,after i typed in diskmgmt this is what it says

layout type file sysm status cap fault tolerance

partition basic fat healthy e 39gb no

same same ntfs healthy s 37gb no

looks like i might have to buy a new cd-rom again thanks for your help larry

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 02:24 PM

When you ran Disk Management was there a CD in the drive? Often this will give you more information than if you look at it with an empty drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:29 PM

When you ran Disk Management was there a CD in the drive? Often this will give you more information than if you look at it with an empty drive.

The drive didn;t even come up-I don;t think inserting a CD will suddenly make it appear. :thumbsup:

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:47 PM

It may be reasonable to suppose that the CD drive didn't show - but Larry didn't mention it one way or the other.

Also, if you'll check Disk Management without a CD in the drive you'll see that there isn't any information available in the top window pane. Depending on how the window is set, the empty CD drive may be below the visible area of the bottom pane (as it is when there are several partitions on the system).

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:47 AM

If the cd drive does not show up in disk management or the device manager, shutdown the computer and open the case and physically disconnect the cd drive from the cables both the ide ribbon and the power cable.

Reboot and then shutdown the computer,

Then reconnect the ide cable and the power cable and reboot the computer. (make sure the ide cable is firmly connected to the mb and the cd)

You should see "windows has found new equipment", etc.

Reinstall it using the cd that came with (the computer manufacturer's driver cd if it came with the computer or the cd that came with the cd unit if it didn't) it or let windows find the driver on the internet. (the cd would be better). You could also look up the driver for the cd at the manufacturer's site and download the drivers - the computer manufacturer's support site if the cd came with it or the cd manufacturer if you added it later.
Save the driver to a place you will be easily able to find it when you install the cd.

Edited by Enthusiast, 24 September 2006 - 09:51 AM.

#11 larry52

larry52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:49 AM

It may be reasonable to suppose that the CD drive didn't show - but Larry didn't mention it one way or the other.

Also, if you'll check Disk Management without a CD in the drive you'll see that there isn't any information available in the top window pane. Depending on how the window is set, the empty CD drive may be below the visible area of the bottom pane (as it is when there are several partitions on the system).

Ok this is what ,I did. I put a cd-in then went to run, typed in diskmgmt, that puts me back to what I sent you last time. I left the cd in. I typed in "sysdm.cpl", then double clicked on dvd-cd rom, this came up,
(samsung cdrom sc140-a) then I double clicked on that , then this came up (samsung ptoperties) , it says this device is working properly.

Thank you,
Larry

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:54 AM

Ok - so is it working properly now?

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:14 AM

Try right clicking on the CD drive (in sysdm.cpl - Device Manager) and select Uninstall. Then reboot your system and see if Windows re-detects it on boot.

Somehow the drive is recognized on a hardware level, but not on the software - could be bad hardware, bad drivers, a bad OS, or even a corrupt BIOS.

First step (if the uninstall/redetect doesn't work) is to update your motherboard/chipset drivers. Next I'd try another CD drive temporarily to see if it works. And as the last 2 things I'd run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW and then a repair install of XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users