Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One specific Wi-Fi connection very slow on one computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Prof-Meowington

Prof-Meowington

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:54 PM

Hello everyone,

I have a strange problem which is driving me crazy. I am sharing my Internet connection with the neighbor. There is only a repeater in our flat, the router is in theirs. For this reason I am not able to connect through cable. The Wi-Fi connection is used by at least 3-10 other devices and there are no issues with it for those devices. I have also tried connecting my PC to other networks, for example two different hotspots on my phones, and the Internet works just fine. But this one specific network does not want to work with my Asus USB-N10 150 Mbps 11n USB dongle. When I say it is slow, I mean it is really slow. Some webpages won't open at all, downloading a game on Steam reaches a speed of less than 10 kB/s. What gives?

I have tried uninstalling the drivers, installing the newest one, forcing 802.11 b/g mode in the Device Manager, resetting WINSOCK, IPv4, IPv6 through the command prompt, moving the dongle to different ports...

It can't be caused by the physical location, because the repeater and PC are at most 3 m apart, and no obstructions between. Any other ideas? I don't have AMD Quick Stream, which I heard can cause issues. Using Windows 10. Would be very thankful for help!

Hardware:
GTX 980 Ti , 8 GB Corsair Vengeance, Asus P8Z68-V LX, Intel Core i5 2500K, Creative XtremeMusic X-fi, 700W CoolerMaster SilentPro, Fractal Design R3, 128 GB Kingston HyperX + Sandisk Ultra Plus 256 GB + 2 TB HDD + 500 GB HDD.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:02 AM

You need to ask your neighbor do the have Wifi Multimedia Service Enabled on their router. This is a wifi equivalent of Quality of Service. If WMM is not enabled then this will cause other devices on the network to be bandwidth hogs.  

Edited by arlattimor, 01 November 2017 - 09:02 AM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#3 Prof-Meowington

Prof-Meowington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:09 PM

Don't think it's related to other devices on the network, because it's the same if they are not home and I don't do anything on my other devices. I mean it's so slow that even webpages time out when loading, doesn't seem right.

#4 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:40 PM

Can you connect directly to their ssid instead of going through the repeater?

tfn

#5 Prof-Meowington

Prof-Meowington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:52 PM

If I unplug the repeater, it doesn't find the network anymore. I guess the signal is too weak for the dongle, because my mobile devices can still find it.

#6 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:54 PM

Do you have a wifi analyzer? you need to measure your signal strength or RSSI. If it is -70 or higher you have a weak signal.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users