Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help on how to remote connect my windows phone to router

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 GKL1520

GKL1520
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:15 PM

Here is the link to the Windows Client for OpenVPN in the link provided OpenVPN Windows Client

Thanks, I really appreciate your research, I'll have to check to be sure, but I think that might be for Windows PC computers rather than for Windows Mobile.

I'll see what I can find out, even if it is not for windows phones I still appreciate you trying to help !

I sent OpenVPN an email to check.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:16 PM

ok cool

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#18 GKL1520

GKL1520
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:16 PM

Hello GKL

If you are up for a challenge you could try using a Raspberry PI as a VPN server.

It will do L2TP and you can find one of the older models very cheap these days. For a VPN they are more than sufficient.

It won't be easy, but some people think learning new stuff is great :)

Hth!

tfn

Thanks, I can research it as a possibility if it is cheap enough, is it something I would plug into my current vpn router ?

#19 GKL1520

GKL1520
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:24 PM

Also have you looked into the client software of the camera itself?

http://www.hikvision.com/us/Tools_84.html#prettyPhoto

Hikvision iVMS-4200 v2.6.2.7 (Windows)

• Software Name:

Hikvision iVMS-4200 v2.6.2.7 (Windows)

• Software Size:

• Software Description:

Software Version: v2.6.2.7

iVMS-4200 is a versatile video management software for the DVRs, NVRs, IP cameras,encoders decoders, etc. It provides multiple functionalities, including real-time live view, video recording, remote search and playback, file backup, etc., for the connected devices to meet the needs of monitoring task. With the flexible distributed structure and easy-to-use operations, the client software is widely applied to the surveillance projects of medium or small scale.

Operating System:

Microsoft Windows 7/Windows 8.1/Windows 10 (32-bit or 64-bit),
    Microsoft Windows XP SP3 (32-bit),
    Microsoft Windows 2008 R2/Windows Server 2012 (64-bit)

V2.6.2.7 Key Updates:

1. Upgraded the security structure.

2. Remove password reset strategy.

V2.6.2.6 Key Updates:

1.Added 7 pieces of attendance reports.

2.Support"apply changes" of permission.

3.Support detailed information prompt when applied failed.

4.Provide access of Pyronix control panel and remote control via client.

5. Provide access of elevator controller.

6. In Device Management module, optimize adding devices by Hik-Connect Domain.

7.Support manual calculation of attendance.

V2.6.1.6 Key Updates:

1.Optimize the device classifications to provide better user experience.

2.New design for module display, select the modules to display on the Operation and Control area of the control panel.

3.Optimize Access Control module. And it includes the Video Intercom function.

4.Add Time and Attendance module, it provides multiple functionalities, including shift schedule management, attendance handling, attendance statistics and other advanced functions.

5.In Event Management module, add Access Control Event, Access Control Alarm Input, Event Card Linkage, and Cross-Device Linkage settings.

6.Counting and Heat map function is supported for back-end products.

7.Add Playback Stream Type for the device which supports dual stream recording.

8.Support display temperature information on the live view and playback window and receiving alarm information for thermal device.

9.Support download player to record’s saving directory when downloading the record files.

10.Support live view and playback function for DS-2DP1636-D in hardware decoding mode except the third stream. The number of connection of live view and playback is up to 6.

11.Set the schedule for backing up the system config file every week.

12.Provide adding devices by Hik-Connect Domain.

13.69 series decoder has been supported to use on the Video Wall module.

14.Optimize some issues of access control devices.

15.Support manual calculation of attendance.

Yes but I had not tried it yet, someone on that ip cam forum was convinced nothing would work if I couldn't connect my windows phone to my vpn router.

I was trying to educate myself as much as possible before even trying to hook the camera up as I wanted to be sure I didn't goof anything up doing something wrong.

I do plan on hopefully trying hooking up the camera by the weekend if not sooner, just wanted to learn more before jumping into it too fast.

I will be trying that ivms-4200 as well as the windows phone ivms-4500 in hopes that it might work anyhow with my router.

#20 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:12 PM

Thanks, I can research it as a possibility if it is cheap enough, is it something I would plug into my current vpn router ?

It will be a small box that you connect to the Asus router with a network cable.

Something like this will be sufficient.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Raspberry-Pi-2-Model-B-v1-1-Quad-Core-1GB-w-Case-Power-Adapter-Manual/152768006412?hash=item2391aec90c:g:uzAAAOSwc2FZ-N9K

In addition you would need a micro sd card.

Hth

tfn

#21 GKL1520

GKL1520
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:33 PM

It will be a small box that you connect to the Asus router with a network cable.

Something like this will be sufficient.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Raspberry-Pi-2-Model-B-v1-1-Quad-Core-1GB-w-Case-Power-Adapter-Manual/152768006412?hash=item2391aec90c:g:uzAAAOSwc2FZ-N9K

In addition you would need a micro sd card.

Hth

tfn

Thanks, I do appreciate your research !   I'll keep it in mind if I exhaust my no-cost options without success, already spent a lot on the camera and vpn router and need to avoid more out of my budget for right now :-)       I did research just now and did see where someone was having a problem getting a L2TP server set up on a Raspberry Pi 2.

#22 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 341 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:09 AM

Indeed, just getting the OS installed on a PI can be a lot of work.

Then add all the complexity of the rest of the setup and you might find yourself in deep water :)

If you have an old computer it can be repurposed and used for the same thing. It would need to be turned on for things to work

Hth!

tfn

#23 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:28 AM

Hey now there's an idea toofarnorth!!!  :thumbup2:  :thumbup2:  :thumbup2:  Get an old pc, load smoothwall, or ipcop, or pfsense. load openvpn on any of those distros and go to town. You can get an old pc from Goodwill. Building the firewall will have everything you'd need and be done for under a $100 bucks. 

Edited by arlattimor, 01 November 2017 - 08:32 AM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#24 GKL1520

GKL1520
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:01 AM

Indeed, just getting the OS installed on a PI can be a lot of work.

Then add all the complexity of the rest of the setup and you might find yourself in deep water :)

If you have an old computer it can be repurposed and used for the same thing. It would need to be turned on for things to work

Hth!

tfn

Hey now there's an idea toofarnorth!!!  :thumbup2:  :thumbup2:  :thumbup2:  Get an old pc, load smoothwall, or ipcop, or pfsense. load openvpn on any of those distros and go to town. You can get an old pc from Goodwill. Building the firewall will have everything you'd need and be done for under a $100 bucks. 

Thanks to both of you !

I already have several old desktop computers collecting dust, but they stopped working, not sure if I could make one good one out of several old ones or not :huh:

Now I am new to this so maybe I am misunderstanding something, my problem is not needing an OpenVPN server, there is one built into my router, my problem is that windows phones do not yet have an OpenVPN client, it has "L2TP with IPsec" but my router does not have an L2TP server.

Let me add another possible solution that someone in an ip camera forum suggested that they use with their windows phone, here is part of what they wrote -

I use a simple PPTP connection to connect to my netgear 3700 router...... Think it is a pretty standard setup. It is a bit slow over PPTP and I usually go to the substream to view data but I can play back what is stored on the storage card from iVMS.(4500)

Now I would prefer to go thru a VPN but if no solution can be found to do it that way could PPTP might be the next best option ?

edit to add:  I just remembered someone in another thread on this forum recommended PPTP also - https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/661635/solution-needed-to-remote-connect-windows-phone-to-router/?p=4369870

Edited by GKL1520, 01 November 2017 - 10:07 AM.

#25 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 341 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:34 PM

Hello again

I had a look at the manual for your Asus router yesterday and it did not say anything about PPTP (or OpenVPN) server built into it

If it has a PPTP server then you can solve the issue with it.
Its a bit more insecure than L2TP but it should get the job done.

tfn

#26 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 341 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:38 PM

Just to make it clear, the manual did say that the router has VPN passthrough for all possible options.
This will allow VPN traffic to pass through the router without causing any problems.

Also, it can use a connection to other VPN servers to protect your outgoing traffic from spying eyes.
This means that all traffic going out to the internet will be sent encrypted to a VPN server somewhere on the internet. Most likely on a subscription service of some kind.

None of these two options will solve your problem.

Hth

tfn

#27 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 341 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

Pfsense for the win :)

Also, you can add any type of VPN server. OpenVPN, IPSEC, L2TP, PPTP :)

tfn

#28 GKL1520

GKL1520
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:53 PM

Hello again

I had a look at the manual for your Asus router yesterday and it did not say anything about PPTP (or OpenVPN) server built into it

If it has a PPTP server then you can solve the issue with it.
Its a bit more insecure than L2TP but it should get the job done.

tfn

Just to make it clear, the manual did say that the router has VPN passthrough for all possible options.
This will allow VPN traffic to pass through the router without causing any problems.

Also, it can use a connection to other VPN servers to protect your outgoing traffic from spying eyes.
This means that all traffic going out to the internet will be sent encrypted to a VPN server somewhere on the internet. Most likely on a subscription service of some kind.

None of these two options will solve your problem.

Hth

tfn

Thanks, but when you said "None of these two options will solve your problem." wouldn't the PPTP be a solution ?

Here is the spec sheet for my router and below that the VPN specs it listed

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-ACRH13/specifications/

VPN server : L2TP Pass-Through, PPTP Server, OpenVPN Server
VPN client : PPTP client, L2TP client

I heard that PPTP is not as secure as VPN but still better than forwarding ports from what I read.

Since I'm just having one ip camera pointing at my front yard would there be any serious risks using PPTP ?

Also - I sent a message to ASUS router support and they are sending it to a Level 2 expert to research what options they can come up with too.

Edited by GKL1520, 01 November 2017 - 01:56 PM.

#29 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 341 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:13 PM

Yes. A PPTP server would solve your problem.

But as I see it there is no PPTP or OpenVPN server in the router. Only L2TP, PPTP and OpenVPN passthrough.

If there was a server in the router there would be some pages in the manual about how to configure it

I might be wrong though, so I'll await the answer you get from Asus :)

tfn

#30 GKL1520

GKL1520
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:55 PM

Yes. A PPTP server would solve your problem.

But as I see it there is no PPTP or OpenVPN server in the router. Only L2TP, PPTP and OpenVPN passthrough.

If there was a server in the router there would be some pages in the manual about how to configure it

I might be wrong though, so I'll await the answer you get from Asus :)

tfn

I just rechecked that part of my router interface and it seems to have what the spec sheet from my previous post said -

VPN server : L2TP Pass-Through, PPTP Server, OpenVPN Server
VPN client : PPTP client, L2TP client

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users