Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help on how to remote connect my windows phone to router

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 GKL1520

GKL1520

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:09 PM

Okay, first let me say any ideas are appreciated, but from my research so far the solution I need might be a real challenge for anyone, even the very tech savvy !

Let me first tell you what I am trying to do and the equipment I am trying to do it with.

All I want to do is to have just one ip network security camera on my home LAN that we can view remotely with our windows phones when we are away from our home WIFI and need to use our data plan.   Sounds simple right ?, but further down you'll see what obstacles I am running into !

Here is our equipment:

Windows Phones:  Nokia Lumia 1520 and Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE (both running Windows mobile 8.1)

IP Camera:  HIKVISION DS-2CD2342WD-I   http://www.hikvision.com/us/Products_1_10508_i7593.html

The easy and simple solution would be if there was a windows phone client for OpenVPN but as far as I know there is not any yet.

Now (unless I'm mistaken) I'm finding out the windows phones vpn option "L2TP over IPsec" requires the vpn router to have a "L2TP over IPsec" server and it seems consumer class vpn routers only have OpenVPN servers which windows phones can't connect to and the business class vpn routers that do have a "L2TP over IPsec" server are way too expensive (over $200 and up) for the average home user on a budget and especially for me being retired on social security.

I have been asking for help on an ip camera forum but so far the only safe solutions offered were switching to android phones (not an option as our windows phones are fairly new) or getting a very expensive business class router, also not an option being on a budget on social security.

The other options that would work other than what I just mentioned were said to be very unsafe security-wise, and that is either port forwarding or using Hikvision P2P camera viewing service.

I'm somewhat tech savvy in general, but ip cameras and VPN is a new area for me and I'm quickly finding out the tech industry does not make it easy when it comes to compatibility options with windows phones.

It would be very much appreciated if any network savvy techs could look at my router specs at the link above and offer any other solution for having a working VPN connection to our Windows phones so we can remotely view our security camera thru data when we are away from our home WIFI.

Thanks !

Gary

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:43 PM

Why are you trying to connect to the camera with a VPN. Is it by personal preference?

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#3 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:45 PM

The reason I ask is because you can access the camera thru a web browser from inside and outside your home network easily. Should take about 30 minutes to setup.

Edited by arlattimor, 31 October 2017 - 05:46 PM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

#4 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:50 PM

Your router is fine, it more than adequate for your needs. I can walk you thru this if would like because you don't need a VPN to access your camera.

Edited by arlattimor, 31 October 2017 - 05:52 PM.

A. Lattimore

#5 GKL1520

GKL1520
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:52 PM

The reason I ask is because you can access the camera thru a web browser from inside and outside your home network easily. Should take about 30 minutes to setup.

Thanks for the reply, yes thru a VPN as I read that is necessary in order to have a secure connection with viewing remotely when away from your home network WIFI.

#6 GKL1520

GKL1520
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:58 PM

Your router is fine, it more than adequate for your needs. I can walk you thru this if would like because you don't need a VPN to access your camera.

Thanks, according to what I read elsewhere online my windows phone would have to have an OpenVPN client since my router has an OpenVPN server.  The thing is they have not yet made an OpenVPN client for windows phones, the windows phone VPN  choice is "L2TP with IPsec".  I need to figure out a workaround other than port forwarding or P2P as I read those options are not secure.

So it's not so much just being able to access the camera, but to do it securely when accessing it remotely and I read a VPN is necessary for that, but I am new at this and still learning.

Edited by GKL1520, 31 October 2017 - 06:02 PM.

#7 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:05 PM

Do you have a link to the information you've read I would like to review it. 

A. Lattimore

#8 GKL1520

GKL1520
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:13 PM

Do you have a link to the information you've read I would like to review it. 

Here is a link to a thread on an ip camera forum where I had been trying to find a workaround that would not require me to buy a very expensive business class router -

https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/vpn-primer-for-noobs.14601/page-19#post-223557

#9 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:14 PM

Thank you.

A. Lattimore

#10 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:17 PM

What version of windows do you have on the phone?

A. Lattimore

#11 GKL1520

GKL1520
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:21 PM

Thank you.

No problem, the people on that forum are very helpful, but just have not been able to come up with a solution to fit what I need, I'm retired and can't buy an expensive business class router meant for businesses and costing well over $200 and up. 

There has to be some solution with my current VPN router.

What version of windows do you have on the phone?

Windows 8.1 mobile

#12 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:43 PM

Here is the link to the Windows Client for OpenVPN in the link provided OpenVPN Windows Client

A. Lattimore

#13 GKL1520

GKL1520
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:50 PM

Here is the link to the Windows Client for OpenVPN in the link provided OpenVPN Windows Client

Thanks, I really appreciate your research, I'll have to check to be sure, but I think that might be for Windows PC computers rather than for Windows Mobile.

I'll see what I can find out, even if it is not for windows phones I still appreciate you trying to help !

#14 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:05 PM

Hello GKL

If you are up for a challenge you could try using a Raspberry PI as a VPN server.

It will do L2TP and you can find one of the older models very cheap these days. For a VPN they are more than sufficient.

It won't be easy, but some people think learning new stuff is great :)

Hth!

tfn

#15 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:12 PM

Also have you looked into the client software of the camera itself?

http://www.hikvision.com/us/Tools_84.html#prettyPhoto

Hikvision iVMS-4200 v2.6.2.7 (Windows)

• Software Name:

Hikvision iVMS-4200 v2.6.2.7 (Windows)

• Software Size:

• Software Description:

Software Version: v2.6.2.7

iVMS-4200 is a versatile video management software for the DVRs, NVRs, IP cameras,encoders decoders, etc. It provides multiple functionalities, including real-time live view, video recording, remote search and playback, file backup, etc., for the connected devices to meet the needs of monitoring task. With the flexible distributed structure and easy-to-use operations, the client software is widely applied to the surveillance projects of medium or small scale.

Operating System:

Microsoft Windows 7/Windows 8.1/Windows 10 (32-bit or 64-bit),
    Microsoft Windows XP SP3 (32-bit),
    Microsoft Windows 2008 R2/Windows Server 2012 (64-bit)

V2.6.2.7 Key Updates:

1. Upgraded the security structure.

2. Remove password reset strategy.

V2.6.2.6 Key Updates:

1.Added 7 pieces of attendance reports.

2.Support"apply changes" of permission.

3.Support detailed information prompt when applied failed.

4.Provide access of Pyronix control panel and remote control via client.

5. Provide access of elevator controller.

6. In Device Management module, optimize adding devices by Hik-Connect Domain.

7.Support manual calculation of attendance.

V2.6.1.6 Key Updates:

1.Optimize the device classifications to provide better user experience.

2.New design for module display, select the modules to display on the Operation and Control area of the control panel.

3.Optimize Access Control module. And it includes the Video Intercom function.

4.Add Time and Attendance module, it provides multiple functionalities, including shift schedule management, attendance handling, attendance statistics and other advanced functions.

5.In Event Management module, add Access Control Event, Access Control Alarm Input, Event Card Linkage, and Cross-Device Linkage settings.

6.Counting and Heat map function is supported for back-end products.

7.Add Playback Stream Type for the device which supports dual stream recording.

8.Support display temperature information on the live view and playback window and receiving alarm information for thermal device.

9.Support download player to record’s saving directory when downloading the record files.

10.Support live view and playback function for DS-2DP1636-D in hardware decoding mode except the third stream. The number of connection of live view and playback is up to 6.

11.Set the schedule for backing up the system config file every week.

12.Provide adding devices by Hik-Connect Domain.

13.69 series decoder has been supported to use on the Video Wall module.

14.Optimize some issues of access control devices.

15.Support manual calculation of attendance.

A. Lattimore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users