Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netflix playback causes display to microstutter.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Klondike91

Klondike91

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:42 PM

I have been using this pc for years and this issue is new to the last few days ( I will post specs at the end).  I had some unrelated issues and took steps to fix those and I will describe those. And I am pretty sure this problem first occurred after taking the final step which fixed my other issues (installing the fall creators update for windows 10 64bit).

The issue I have been having is when Netflix is live or paused playback my entire systems display seems to stutter and drop frames, while audio playback is smooth and does not drop when the video does.  I can notice this dropping of frames in netflix and in anything else my display is rendering  (such as spinning my mouse in circles).   I have an HDMI display and a DVI display both plugged into an AMD video card.  This problem persists when the playback is active or paused,   it persists if the window is open on either display, or minimised.   This occurs only with netflix and not playback of local files using a media player. And does not occur when streaming through flash based players like youtube. It occurs on every netflix video not just one particular episode.

Ill very quickly describe what I was doing on my pc this week.  I was having select applications not appearing in my volume mixer or giving any audio playback.  I was uninstalling and reinstalling audio and video drivers. I tested multiple devices and ports and made sure their properties were all set correctly.  Ultimately what fixed it was updating to the current Fall Creators Update which resolved these audio issues.   It was after this (day before yesterday) when I noticed this frame dropping from netflix so heres what I have done to test and attempt a fix.

- I restarted my pc.  +Restarted and turned off power supply for a few seconds

- I uninstalled and reinstalled my video drivers once again.   They are still up to date, the newest drivers are still from Oct 27, I just checked again now.

- Windows update has no updates to install.

- I updated Chrome.  And then tested on microsoft edge and got the same problem.

- I tested on firefox but got this error ( Netflix Error N8156 6013   The error you're seeing is related to the Silverlight plug-in, which Netflix uses to play TV shows and movies on your computer. This error is usually caused by one of three things:A computer setting preventing Silverlight from storing files it needs to play your TV show or movie -An issue with the Silverlight plug-in itself  -An issue with the content you're trying to play.)   Its obviously not the content.  It recommends (Use alternate browser) Already tried that. (Uninstall and reinstall Silverlight)  So I did that and tested on all 3 browsers again but it was the same behaviour. 

(delete mspr.hds files) I found them by searching my C drive but cannot delete them because they 'arent located there anymore'.    And the last suggestion is (Make sure your Windows user account can access Netflix.com)  I dont know how to do that.  And the suggested issue " A computer setting preventing Silverlight from storing files it needs", I dont know how I would resolve this either.  But it does not occur on other browsers so I dont think it would be this. 

-After this I was thinking it might be related somehow to Silverlight because it happens with no other applications, media player, or flash player. Only netflix.  And I contacted Netflix support.  They suggested I try the windows netflix application,   I asked them and they said that the application does not use silverlight, just the web page.   But the application causes the same dropping and stuttering in my displays.  That got a "hmmm"  from the netflix support and then they gave me a suggestion which looked copied and pasted, and was about a problem I did not describe (playback bar and user interface not fading away when I move my mouse off it. Not remotely close to my issue), and the fix involved drivers for touch devices (I dont use any), they they proceeded to wrap up the chat.   (Is that common on tech support lines? When something isnt easy to fix to just try to shove the person off? I get that from time to time.)

All I can think to do is wait until another windows 10 update comes out. I have been having several issues crop up after win10 updates this year,   which seem unsolvable (except by possibly uninstalling and reinstalling my OS.... which I REALLY dont want to do),    and after dealing with it for weeks and getting a newer update those issues get resolved.  

So thats where I am. I am not sure what is going on or how to fix it.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Radeon Software Version - 17.10.3
Radeon Software Edition - Crimson ReLive
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon ™ R9 380 Series
Memory Size - 4096 MB Memory Type - GDDR5 Core Clock - 1010 MHz
WIndows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 16 GB
CPU Type - Intel® Core™ i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz
ASUS p8p67 pro motherboard 

Software 
Radeon Settings Version - 2017.1026.2226.38569
Driver Packaging Version - 17.40.1021.1011-171026a1-319547E-CrimsonReLive
Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1624
Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01304
OpenGL® Version - 6.14.10.13497
OpenCL™ Version - 23.20.782.259
AMD Mantle Version - 9.1.10.0228
AMD Mantle API Version - 102400
AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.1.4
Vulkan™ Driver Version - 1.7.0
Vulkan™ API Version - 1.0.54

Edited by Klondike91, 31 October 2017 - 06:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Klondike91

Klondike91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:37 PM

I thought I should add I looked at my CPU, GPU, and Memory usage and nothing is weird there, nothing is strained. 

I tried disabling my second display by right clicking the desktop and going to Display settings,   under multiple displays I set it to "show only one", but that had no effect.

I also saw my monitor was set to 59 hertz screen refresh rate. I tried it on 60 with no change, so put it back to 59.

I also thought I should mention that the dropping of frames, jumping behaviour of the display is fairly regular in its intervals.   Rough estimate is that I lose about an 8th of a second every 1 second.  The fact that it was happening like clockwork as I was moving my mouse in circles and keeping time out loud made me think about refresh rate.

Edited by Klondike91, 31 October 2017 - 08:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users