Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sourcing Network interface controller

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:42 PM

My Network Controller has gone bad and am having trouble making sure I get the right one.  The one in there now is Integrated, so need to find one that will install Internally...somehow?  Model Below:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/compaq-presario-cq5800-desktop-pc-series/5080701/model/5180008/product-info

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03054469

I've tried, and found some that I think will work, but don't really know for sure.

Thanks, pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:26 PM

You need a PCI Express (PCIe) x1 network card.   That will connect to your motherboard.  Or you can go with USB Network Adapter, which ever you are more comfortable with.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:08 PM

Thanks Kliroy, I think I will go with this one from TP-Link as it has many reviews and ships from the US where I am, what do you think?  I see that it also has LED's on it, that's a good plus isn't it?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704060&cm_re=pcie_network-_-33-704-060-_-Product

Is it any better to buy from "Sold and Shipped by: Newegg" or would a seller like the one below be good/better?

EDIT: Now I see the one below is Free Shipping, but not sure about Newegg Shipping.  I see the list of ways to ship but not sure if they will charge, I suppose I need to move to the checkout?

Here I see one from another shipping from US and has a decent rating from what I can see, not used to buying from newegg, but have a few times.

Does it make much difference which one I get? Not to worried about performance as this pc ain't got that to start with lol.  What Brands are the rest of these, just generic, like the one I posted just above this?

Also, on THIS PAGE it says "Data transfer speeds: up to 10/100 Mb/s", I'm guessing this means that any of these Adapters will be much faster than this pc can handle: 1000Mb/s?

Thanks, pcpunk!

Edited by pcpunk, 31 October 2017 - 06:19 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users