Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Light home-use desktop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Corvus13th

Corvus13th

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:17 PM

I'm looking for a home desktop for relatives of mine. I have been looking at AMD A8 and Intel i5 systems. As outlined below, it is only for very light home use, but I do want it to last a while. I'm thinking about 8GB RAM, OS will be Windows 10, and I'm only looking for the Desktop itself, all peripherals are fine.

Desktop

My budget for the new computer is: 500-1000 dollar

Office applications, moving around photo's, maybe putting them the right way up, but no real editing. Internet brwosing. No gaming.

1TB is more than enough storage.

I hope somebody can give me a pointer what kind of CPU I should be looking for in order to get a suitable system which will last them a good while. 

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:04 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Here are some machines from New Egg.  Since you've got some room on price I went with a Solid State Drive (SSD) of at least 250GB.  250GB is good for most non-gamers.  If for some reason they have a lot of data you can go to a machine with a 512GB drive or an additional mechanical drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users