Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Push Notifications User Service 4e086 using all RAM

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 etheric42

etheric42

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:10 PM

In Windows 10 Home, the "Windows Push Notifications User Service 4e086" begins using up multiple gigabytes of RAM after running for a few minutes.  I can end task the process, but it comes back later or on reboot.  I have tried disabling the process by unchecking it in msconfig, but it still starts when I restart the computer.  I have tried running a clean boot by disabling all non-microsoft services in msconfig and disabling all startup entries in task manager, but the issue still occurs.

I ran a virus scan and Malwarebytes anti-malware scan, did not find anything.

Windows 10 install is only 2-3 months old onto a freshly formatted SSD.  Problem has been occurring for a couple of weeks.  I'd like to resolve the problem, but I would be okay with just finding a way to disable that push notification process permanently.

Thanks in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:51 PM

Are you running Killer Networking?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 etheric42

etheric42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:22 PM

I do not believe I am.  It's a recent install of windows onto a formatted drive without manufacturer bloatware on it.  I do not remember installing it.  Checked my add or remove program list and could not find it.  Checked my startup processes and could not find it.  I think I do not have it.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:45 PM

It was a long shot, but this has been known to cause this type of problem.

This program is a stand-alone program which will not show up in Programs and Features.  If it was downloaded it would show up in the list of downloads.  Then again, since you don't remember installing this it more than likely was not installed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:48 PM

Have you tried uninstalling the Push Notification support and re-download and reinstall the program?

#6 etheric42

etheric42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:56 PM

I have not tried that yet.  How would I go about doing that?  It doesn't show up in my apps and features list.

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 882 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:21 PM

Hi, this is a windows service introduced in v1703 and carried over to v1709. It is part of "ocean View' or more correctly "project rome" internally within MS.

This was to do with making ten more available to the mobile market, interoperability as it is known. This service is part of that concept.

It is set to start automatically, and should not cause any problems, BTW the last five character alpha numeric code will change from boot to boot meaning the service is dynamic. (It can be disabled, though I do not recommend this).

I often see a clean boot suggested on this forum, this is one time where it will really help:-

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

#8 etheric42

etheric42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:39 PM

I have tried that.  Turned off all startup items and all non-Microsoft services.  No change in behavior.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:16 AM

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box.  This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

1. Click/tap on the General tab.   

2. Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

3. Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box.

clean-boot-1.png

4.  Click on the Services tab.

5.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

clean-boot2.png

7.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK  

clean-boot3.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.  

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

8.  Divide the number of these services by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart the computer.

9.  If the problem doesn't return in those services remove the checks and place checks in the remaining services and restart the computer.

10.  When you find which half the service is in go on to the next step.  

11. The half which has the service causing this problem remove half of the checks as you did previously to see which half has this service.  Restart the computer.  

12.  If it isn't in the first half of these services, do the same with the last half of the services.

13.  Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services remove the checks one at a time till you find the service at fault.

Once you have found the service post it in your topic.  Do not take any action until I suggest the next step.

#10 etheric42

etheric42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:01 PM

I had tried it the way the Microsoft support link described it before and the problem still occurred even with everything off.  Since your suggestion was slightly different in how it handled the startup programs, I tried it.  Everything off: no problem.  First half on: no problem.  Second half on: no problem.  Everything on but startup still unchecked: no problem.  Everything on and startup now checked: no problem.

Left it running awhile, did some internet browsing, rebooted it a few times, still no problem.  Then I went to the notifications settings and checked list of "get notifications from these senders" which was previously a fast way to get it to spike memory usage faster (the list would never load, it would spin there until the computer ran out of memory then close).  This time there was no spinning dots while the list was loaded, instead it loaded immediately and was empty.  It just said "No senders have provided notifications yet".

This is going to make it difficult to diagnose which process it is (if it is a process).  I am going to keep monitoring it through regular use and see if the issue comes back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users