Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need a Win98 LGA 775 MOBO that Supports 4G RAM

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Aoresteen

Aoresteen

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:05 PM

I'm looking for a motherboard that has native Windows 98SE drivers, uses LGA 775 CPUs, and supports 4 GB RAM.  So far I have l have identified two: ASRock Conroe865pe & Biostar P4m890-M7 SE.  These seem to be very hard to find.  Any other motherboards out there that I should be looking at to widen my search?

I have a 1GB max board (Asus P3B-F Pentium III) but need to find one that supports 4 GB.  I have quite a few LGA 775 P4 & Pentium Duo CPUs on hand from upgrading a number of LGA775 mobos to Q9650 Quad core CPUs.  I will consider an AMD CPU mobo if push comes to shove.

Thanks!

PS:  Please, no replies that Win98 is limited to 2GB, 1GB, 512K, it won't install ect.  There are ways around the memory issues that WIn98 has. This is precisely why I'm on the hunt for a 4GB mobo.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:57 AM

I can't imagine you'll find Windows 98 drivers for anything LGA 775. 

Why would you need 4GB of ram for Windows 98? What are you hoping to accomplish?
I think you may have better results trying to virtualize Windows.

MS-DOS on a 4790k

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Aoresteen

Aoresteen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:18 AM

The two LGA775  mobos listed do have Win98 drivers.

I have a lot of "vintage" MIDI synthesizers from the 90's in my recording studio that have Win98 drivers but nothing later.  I have recording software versions that runs under Win98.  The more RAM you have the easier it is to run everything at once - MIDI and live audio.  My Akai sampler has 8 channels that chews up a lot of RAM when recording.  While I could go to a 2GB Win98 box easily, if I'm going to the trouble to build a 2GB Win98 box, I decided to go for 4GB.  Why?  Well, because I can :) !

Virtualization is some that really won't work given the old hardware interfaces.  I don't have enough PCI slots, MIDI interfaces, SCSI adapters to run both my WinXP SP3 DAW and the Win98 DAW on the same box.

Edited by Aoresteen, 01 November 2017 - 11:20 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,545 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:56 PM

Found this thread with a list last updated 2011. 

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/97588-modern-motherboards-which-are-working-with-windows-98-discussion/

Don't know if it makes of difference but this link is for a Biostar P4M890-M7 TE

https://www.ebay.com/p/Biostar-P4M890-M7-TE-LGA775-Socket-Intel-Motherboard/74103863

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:36 AM

I found this board seems to support 4 Gb and should be Windows 98 friendly - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-8IPE775-rev-1x#sp - works with P4 only, not Core2.

Also this is an example of an AMD Socket 939 which ran the Athlon 64 processors, supports 4 Gb, and has Win 98 drivers - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-K8NS-939-rev-1x#sp

AMD Athlon 64 Socket 939 CPU's are quite readily available on eBay etc.

It appears that a few of their other i865PE chipset and probably AMD 939 socket based motherboards do also.  

#6 Aoresteen

Aoresteen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:45 PM

Thanks JohnC_21 & jonuk76!  The hunt widens.  The GA-8IPE775 has 5 PCI slots :) !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users