Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

long beep,fail to boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zakisbak

zakisbak

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:04 PM

Takes several attempts,up to 10,before short beep,normal boot.
Tried standby/sleep,same result.
I have run several utilities,including Disc Check.
Pressing F8,Del,Esc etc fails,so assume problem is before that stage of boot is reached?

Other symptom:Nvidia graphics driver has recovered from failure message.

I plan to physically inspect and check and refit memory and graphics card.Also,could it be a failing motherboard battery?

Win7 32bit SP1
AMD Athlon II X2 250
4GB Ram
GTS250 Graphics

PC about 8 years old....possibly just on last legs?........

Edited by hamluis, 01 November 2017 - 05:25 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:24 PM

The possibilities for system problems...are numerous, I would not speculate on what it "could" be.

X2 250 (I had one) is a long time ago, IMO.

I would replace the CMOS battery because it's a cheap attempt and CMOS battery is a possibility.

One long beep...see Possibilities.

Louis

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:35 AM

Beep codes are a result of diagnostics (a self test) run on the system motherboard and are run before Windows starts so any beeps you hear before Windows starts to load have nothing to do with Windows.

Each motherboard has on board a program (Basic Input Output System) that runs various usually quick and simple diagnostic tests - mostly on the system hardware:  is RAM detected, is a video device detected, is a keyboard detected, etc. and any failed test will result in a series of beeps that can be decoded by figuring out the maker of the BIOS.

Usually one short beep indicates the tests were successful and the system is then ready to latch onto the storage device (hard drive, SSD, etc.) find an operating system and initiate the loading of the OS.

You can make an effort to describe the beeps like this:

one short, two long

three short, one long

seven short

something else you will describe

Then with a Google search you might be able to find out what they mean:

Click this link

Sometimes these failures can be resolved by making sure the system is not connected to power (battery removed) and reseating various components or cables that may have developed a marginal connection - carefully remove and reinstall RAM, remove and reinstall the video card, etc.

Messages like "Nvidia graphics driver has recovered from failure" could be a failure of the graphics device, a marginal connection in a slot, an out of date video driver or something else.

If you want the best advice you can start by providing more information about your system (assuming it boots eventually):

What is your system make and model or is it something assembled from separately purchased components?

If the system is a Dell what is the Service Tag Number?

If the system is an HP what is the serial number?

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All (Ctrl-A), Copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) the information back here in your next reply.

For video device and driver information, expand the Components, click Display, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

If your system is crashing with a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) you need to configure the system to generate crash dump files which can be analyzed.

Here's how to do that:

On your Desktop right click Computer, Properties, Advanced system settings and make it look like this:

[attachment=199312:1.jpg]

There is no need to create the Minidump folder as Windows will create one if it needs to.

Then click OK enough times to close all the dialog boxes and restart your system for the changes to take effect.  After rebooting you can go back and check the settings again to be sure the adjustments "stick".

Edited by joseibarra, 02 November 2017 - 07:42 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:13 AM

Is this a custom build?  If it is please post the make and model of the motherboard.

If it is not a custom build, please post the make and model of this computer.

When you start the computer it goes through the P.O.S.T. (Power On Self Test).  This looks at all of your peripheral devices to be sure they are operational.  If there is a problem the P.O.S.T. will fail and the computer will not boot.  This is where the system diagnostics (beep codes or a LED error display) comes in.  In this case it appears to be beep codes.  Please post the pattern of these beeps.  Example:  one long beep and two short beeps.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 zakisbak

zakisbak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:38 AM

Many thanks for replies,very much appreciated.

The beep is one long,two short;I think graphic card.

Today,I just left it after startup and the long beep,two short beeps;it eventually,after maybe 5 minutes,just started.

I shall refit battery,clean/refit memory/graphics card.

If no good,I shall get back to you.

Thanks once again.

PS I'm also getting random clicking noises via speakers,possibly a virus.
I abandoned my rigorous maintenance schedule (defrag/optimize,av scan,spybot scan,sas scan,mbytes scan) a month ago as it seemed superfluous.
The problems seemed to start a few weeks after that.
Coincidence or not?I shall return to my previous maintenance schedule anyway!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,299 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:40 AM

Regarding the clicking noise, there are several things you can do to try to solve this problem.  You could try changing the Quality under Sound.

Right click on the speaker icon in the Taskbar by the clock, select Playback devices, Double click on Speakers click/tap.

When the Speakers Properties opens click/tap on the Advanced tab.  Under Default format change the 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality) to the [b]16 Bit,48000 Hz (DVD Quality).

There is a article regarding this problem at the How To-Geek website which has several possible solutions posted there.  It's well worth perusing.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:09 AM

I have a system here that has some $10 speakers connected and when my iPhone is in close proximity (a foot or two) and when I get an email on my iPhone the speakers might buzz a little and then the speakers say "Click, click, click, click, click..." and then the email arrives.

If I move the iPhone away I don't have that problem.

Perhaps some other electronic device is a little too close to your system.

Edited by joseibarra, 09 November 2017 - 10:20 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,299 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:53 AM

I went through this with one of my previous builds.  It would sporadically start start click and would continue for a short period of time and then quit for a while.  I went through everything I could think of to find the cause of this.  At this time everything was wired, there weren't any wireless devices in use, no cell phone, nothing.  It finally quit and never returned.  I'm still clueless as to what was causing this.  The wife insists that it was gremlins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users