Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing HDD to Bootable Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 eman60

eman60

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:37 AM

I recently bought a new Toshiba 2TB HDD to upgrade my storage. I was going to move my os to another drive I had to free up some space. Once I cloned the drive, it comes up in File manager as (B:). Windows doesn't recognize it as a bootable drive, even though it is an exact copy of the original drive. I tried to boot to it directly using the BIOS, but that didn't work either. It said it was a "Non-System Disk". How do I convert the drive to a bootable drive (preferably in Windows)?

Windows 10 64- Bit

i5-3550

8GB DDR3

GTX 1060

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:10 AM

My method, as I use Macrium Reflect for my backups, was to use the fix MBR (Master Boot Record) function in Macrium's software. This method has worked for me on several occasions where I added a SSD and cloned.

http://reflect.macrium.com/help/v5/rescue_cds/fix_boot_problems.htm

7581204627.png

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:21 AM

Did you include the System Reserved partition in the clone?

The System Reserved partition holds the Boot Manager code and the Boot Configuration Database.  Without this partition you will not be able to boot into Windows.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png  and the X key to open the Windows Power Menu.  Click/tap on Disk Management to view the different partitions.  This partition should be between 100MB to 350MB in size.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 eman60

eman60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:52 PM

Yes, the destination drive has the system reserved partition. Its drive letter is (A:).

#5 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 752 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:05 PM

Have you ied repairing the master boot record?

1. Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.

2. When Command Prompt appears, enter the following lines and press Enter after each line:

bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:17 AM

Yes, the destination drive has the system reserved partition. Its drive letter is (A:).

This is on the drive which you made the cloned copy from, correct?

If this partition wasn't included in the clone you do not have the boot record, because of this you will not be able to rebuild the boot record as it does not exist.  So, the question is... was this partition included when you made the clone?

Rebuilding the BCD may resolve this if the partition was omitted. 

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png  and the R key to open the Run box.

When the Run boxes opens type in cmd (admin), click/tap OK, this will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

Copy and  paste the two command below one at a time followed by pressing Enter after each command.

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Edited by dc3, 02 November 2017 - 08:39 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users