Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Is Searching For Hardware With Ip 0.0.0.0

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 prescben

prescben

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 22 September 2006 - 10:17 AM

Got a message from my Network Admin. Apparently one of my computers is generating some 20-25 ARPs a second searching for a response from 0.0.0.0. All other activity is normal. It's not hunting for other IP addresses and a system sweep was clean, leading me to think this isn't a virus or DOS attack. But at the same time I have NO idea why my computer would be flipping out like this. Any ideas?

-Ben

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 10:38 AM

Something is looking for 0.0.0.0 and it's doing it without telling you? Sounds pretty suspicious to me!

First start IMO would be to install a software firewall to block these critters. Some of them will also tell you what program is sending the packets. Personally, I prefer the last freeware version of Sygate Personal Firewall.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:37 PM

Hello and Welcome to Bleeping Computers...

You say your Network Administrator told you this information? Are you the IT department where you work?

If not then this information should go to the IT department basically because it is their responsibility for the network upkeep and well being. I am only saying this becasue I have seen people that try to help out with a situation and end up getting fired for it.

Anyways your post would do better in the Networking forum here I would try asking thru the following to have a Moderator transfer this post. At the top of this thread find the statement below and click it and somebody will help you move it to Networking.

Have a problem and would like to ask us for help? To learn how to ask your question Click Here!

Edited by ThorXP, 22 September 2006 - 09:38 PM.

#4 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:40 AM

Allright, I want you to do two things,

One, go to start click run and type in cmd (ENTER). After that type in netstat (enter)
See the tihngs that are listed? Copy them down and put them in a notepad, then type in netstat -an
After that copy it into a notepad (prefferably the same file) and then post both on this forum. Try not to do anything important on your computer, this could be a lot of things, and none of them point to good.

Edited by Gyro, 23 September 2006 - 12:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users