Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

changing the cooling fan (and box) of a firepro v7900 gpu

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Z3nike

Z3nike

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:55 AM

Hello there,
i got in my workstation an old firepro v7900. It works just fine but started making some loud fan noises.
I tried to clean it but without any success.

I think about bying this :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-AMD-ATI-FirePro-V7800-V7900-Video-Card-Cooler-Cooling-Fan-Only-fan-F34-/181554138524?_ul=EC
(ebay link, i hope i can post it here).

But my current card is a v7900, not SDI as showed here.
Did this makes any difference ? The case really seems identical but i don't know...

Edited by Z3nike, 31 October 2017 - 08:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:37 AM

For what it's worth, the V7900 and V7900-SDI look like they use the same cooler design to me too (as does the V7800).  But I don't know for sure.. 

The only difference is the SDI version has some extra features aimed at use in TV broadcasting - probably an extra chip on the PCB. I can't imagine it would change much as far as cooler design is concerned.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Z3nike

Z3nike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:38 AM

Ok i will order it and try that, thank you.

I am not really familiar with this type of change.
I suppose i need some thermal paste to fix the new case on the old card.
Do someone has some advices about what thermal paste buy and how to do that correctly in general ?

Thanks in advance.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:07 PM

I've removed and refitted them to similar cards.  Once you take out all the small screws holding the box assembly together, then I think it's just a case of undoing the four sprung screws around the GPU itself and easing the cooler off.  You then need to clean up old paste off the GPU, and refitting is the reverse of removal.  You gradually tighten the securing screws in an "X" pattern so as to get an even pressure on the GPU.

The pics show a square of thermal paste pre-installed, but if you want to get extra, then I've found Arctic Cooling MX2 seems to work just fine on GPU's I've done, I'm sure any decent paste should be OK.  It looks like it also has new thermal pads installed which are for cooling the memory chips etc.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users