Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with booting

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:24 PM

1. That seems normal.
2. That seems normal.

1) It's normal to boot from USB by selecting "USB device," and from DVD by selecting "DVD/CDROM." It is abnormal to boot from USB and DVD by selecting "SATA HDD," which is what amrmohamed_95 has to do.

GfJjkt6.jpg

2) It's normal to be able to choose to boot from DVD or USB, after installing an operating system to the HDD. It's abnormal to be unable to choose to boot from USB or DVD, after installing an operating system to the HDD.

The only option in the Boot Menu that works, is the one that is highlighted in the above image. I imagine that when there is no installed operating system, the computer looks for another bootable device, and this is why the computer will boot from DVD or USB, by selecting the HDD, but only when the HDD has no operating system installed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,001 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:36 PM

You can delete menu entries in your boot menu using efibootmgr.
sudo apt install efibootmgr

#18 amrmohamed_95

amrmohamed_95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:52 PM

this doesn't work it gives "efi variables isn't supported on this system"
I think the problem is by somehow an installation has written some data to the bios chip on the motherboared and this is forcing me to boot from linux and windows even if the hard is disconnected or empty
I installed windows as it is possible in legacy mode and ran the installation of bios hooping it changes something but it said that the installed one is the same as the new installation I tried to downgrade it, it said you can't install an older version

#19 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,001 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:02 PM

Since this issue relates to the hardware's firmware, and not specifically to Linux (or Windows), I'll move this topic to the Internal Hardware forum, in the hope that someone who might see it there will be able to help.

#20 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:02 PM

this doesn't work it gives "efi variables isn't supported on this system"
I think the problem is by somehow an installation has written some data to the bios chip on the motherboared and this is forcing me to boot from linux and windows even if the hard is disconnected or empty
I installed windows as it is possible in legacy mode and ran the installation of bios hooping it changes something but it said that the installed one is the same as the new installation I tried to downgrade it, it said you can't install an older version

Can you flash the BIOS?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#21 amrmohamed_95

amrmohamed_95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:16 PM

Can you flash the BIOS?

How can I know that?

#22 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:00 PM

Not sure how much this will help, but back in I believe Oct, recently anyway, When a windows 10 update installed itself on a dual boot windows, mint laptop,  the update changed something in the boot so only window would start.  My memory isn't great anymore, but I'm thinking secure boot needed turned off, or something like that, and the machine would not allow me to turn it off, nor boot form usb or dvd.  I've been real busy and thought I take care of it later.  But in mine something was changed in the in what used to be the bios with booting.  I need to set up a different laptop, and figured then I'd just take windows off, but haven't had the time. This might help someone help you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users