Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with booting

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 amrmohamed_95

amrmohamed_95

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:21 AM

Hello everyone,
I had Ubuntu 17.10 and Windows 10 dual boot and were working normally, I formatted the laptop's hard disk outside the laptop and deleted all partitions and returned it back into the laptop...now when I open the laptop it shows me "Ubuntu boot failed" message and when I continue it shows me "Windows boot manager boot failed" message and after I continue it ends up at this screen
I tried to burn an iso of windows or linux on a usb or cd and entered the boot menu it shows the boot from usb option but when I choose it I get boot failed message but if I continued it enter to the setup instead of the black screen in the last image but in legacy mode so i tried all boot options but the only worked one is the hard disk and in legacy mode....I tried to change the type from bios menu to UEFI but after I save and close all changed settings returns back....Any suggestions to how to remove those boot failed messages and boot normally in UEFI mode ?

Edited by Al1000, 03 November 2017 - 01:03 PM.
moved from Linux & Unix

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,465 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:13 AM

If you deleted all the partitions, then there is no operating system to boot to. You need to reinstall Windows 10 again.

#3 amrmohamed_95

amrmohamed_95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:26 AM

If you deleted all the partitions, then there is no operating system to boot to. You need to reinstall Windows 10 again.

I tried that but when I open the boot menu I can't boot from any device except the hard disk and it is in legacy mode i tried to change it from the bios menu but after i save and restart all saved changes return back i tried different iso images and using cd and usb

#4 philbo

philbo

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:02 AM

Have you already tried resetting the UEFI/BIOS settings to their defaults?

It's usually one of the function buttons. Then save, exit, and reboot.

#5 amrmohamed_95

amrmohamed_95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:31 AM

Have you already tried resetting the UEFI/BIOS settings to their defaults?

It's usually one of the function buttons. Then save, exit, and reboot.

yes, I tried that but nothing changed I changed the order of the boot menu too make sure but they return back the only bios change that stay is the clock and date

I even disconnected the cmos battery but it reset the clock and date only

is there any method beyond that like deleting these boots from wherever they are stored in the memory ?

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 5,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:03 PM

What laptop (make and model) is this?

#7 amrmohamed_95

amrmohamed_95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:38 PM

What laptop (make and model) is this?

Lenovo Ideapad y50-70

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 5,950 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:56 PM

If this is it:
https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-y50-70-touch

...it has "dual SSDs" in addition to the HDD. Presumably the partitions on the SSDs are still intact.

Your use of the word "or" in the following sentence in the OP, makes it unclear exactly what you have tried.

"I tried to burn an iso of windows or linux on a usb or cd..."

Did you try making a bootable USBs, and bootable DVDs, with both Windows and Linux, and none of the above worked?

Edited by Al1000, 31 October 2017 - 01:58 PM.

#9 amrmohamed_95

amrmohamed_95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:02 PM

If this is it:
https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-y50-70-touch

...it has "dual SSDs" in addition to the HDD. Presumably the partitions on the SSDs are still intact, unless you formatted them.

Your use of the word "or" in the following sentence in the OP, makes it unclear exactly what you have tried.

"I tried to burn an iso of windows or linux on a usb or cd..."

Did you try making a bootable USBs, and bootable DVDs, with both Windows and Linux, and none of the above worked?

the laptop is another edition without touch and without ssd only hdd
and I tried making both bootable usb and bootable DVD but none of them worked they can't be chose from the boot menu as usb or DVD because both give boot failed but if I choose the option "Sata HDD" they work but I think in legacy mode

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 5,950 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

Have you tried installing Ubuntu in legacy mode?

#11 amrmohamed_95

amrmohamed_95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:33 PM

Have you tried installing Ubuntu in legacy mode?

yes I tried and it worked normally and I was going to go with the error messages as long as I can access an operating system but after I could boot from the only choice which is the sata hdd I am forced to enter the installed linux so if I decided to change it I will have to format the hard drive

#12 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 5,950 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:44 PM

If I understand you correctly:

1) You can currently boot from a live Ubuntu USB and/or DVD, and you can install Ubuntu to the HDD.

2) After you install Ubuntu, you can no longer boot from a USB or DVD; you can only boot from the HDD.

Is that correct?

#13 amrmohamed_95

amrmohamed_95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:37 PM

If I understand you correctly:

1) You can currently boot from a live Ubuntu USB and/or DVD, and you can install Ubuntu to the HDD.

2) After you install Ubuntu, you can no longer boot from a USB or DVD; you can only boot from the HDD.

Is that correct?

1) currently I can boot from a live Ubuntu USB and/or DVD, and I can install Ubuntu to the HDD but using this option not using DVD or USB options

2) after I install Ubuntu, choosing the "SATA" option will load into the installed linux so I can no longer access any bootable device

#14 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:46 PM

1. That seems normal.

2. That seems normal.

It sounds like you are doing fine now, NO?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#15 amrmohamed_95

amrmohamed_95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:33 AM

1. That seems normal.

2. That seems normal.

It sounds like you are doing fine now, NO?

No, because I can't access any bootable device now and I can't dual boot windows and linux 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users